Project Orbiter Speech Recognition Module - Beta Testers Needed

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So... I really wanted to learn object oriented programming, and also wanted to give back to the awesome Orbiter community, and I wanted it to be big. So I set myself the goal of creating an addon that would add speech recognition to Orbiter. After many work hours, countless setbacks, learning curves, and discoveries, I have finished coding it. My first addon! :cheers:

Here is the description of the addon:

Code:
Orbiter Speech Recognition Module (OSRM) adds speech recognition capability to Orbiter Spaceflight Simulator by Dr. Martin Schweiger.  It is composed by the following features:

GENERIC COMMAND FEATURE
•	Adds speech recognition to the basic Orbiter keyboard commands; those listed in keymap.cfg file.
•	Which commands are active, and which phrase activates them, are configurable through a simple config file.

VESSEL COMMAND FEATURE
•	Add speech recognition to the keyboard commands of any vessel class by using simple config files.
•	Which commands are active, and which phrase activates each of them, are configurable through a config file for each vessel class.
•	Config files may be created by the developer and included in their releases, or may be easily created or modified by the user.

MFD COMMAND FEATURE
•	Add speech recognition to any MFD, through a simple config file for each  MFD mode.

•Compatible with UCGO and UMMU by Dansteph!

So now I'm making the doc file, and finishing minor details to prepare it for the closed beta stage. Because of university work, this may take about a week, hopefully less. Beta testers need the following:

*Microsoft Speech Recognition Engine, this comes with an Office install, and some computers come with it. Otherwise, google is your best friend! :p
*Headset
*Patience, because i'm still a noob at programming and making addons! :p

Any volunteers?
Thanks!

Last edited:

vonneuman

Orbinaut
Reaction score
As a fellow programer I would be happy to help in the beta testing of this add on

Revolpathon

Reaction score
i woud also like to beta this one, i think it adds a very cool feature :)

vonneuman

Orbinaut
Reaction score
would make you fell like a star ship captain, calling out orders. "Set target ISS", "Fire the main engine".

Oh yes. This will be cool.

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Cool. So the beta testers are:

unknown_orbiter
Zatnikitelman
vonneuman
Revolpathon
Turbinator

Could you PM me an email to send you the beta when its ready?

Hail :probe:

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Kirk voice: Can you... reverse... the polarity?

I would like to, but I have no headset :(

guitarist473

The UMMU that can play guitar
Reaction score
guess i was too slow of the mark, eh?

i was gonna say id love beta test too.
but i guess its too late now if you've chose all the people n' such.
well, hope it goes well.
looking forward to the finished addon.

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
If you're still accepting beta testers, I'd love to, but it seems like I've missed the deadline. If you ever need any more, I'd definitely be up for it.

Salun

Das Bluejay El DESTROY YOU ALL
Reaction score
OKay teh Inner dork in me is RAVING about this idea. The outer dork is agreeing with my inner dork by merely nodding is head and answering with"Indeed"(Plus 5 points in life for the Teal'c reference) The thing is I tried something like this once a while back. Half worked. Key mapping a freeware speech program to use voice to recognize certain commands IE"Gear Down" WOuld be mapped as the "G" key. THough it really only partailly worked. THings like random crashes and the thing being"duh duh duh I noz eye ee uhz u sais hehe"

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
OKay teh Inner dork in me is RAVING about this idea. The outer dork is agreeing with my inner dork by merely nodding is head and answering with"Indeed"(Plus 5 points in life for the Teal'c reference)

Lol

I think 5 people for the beta team is good, sorry guys. I don't expect it to be for too long on beta, so you guys will be able to use it pretty soon :thumbup:

In the meantime you can set up the Windows Speech Recognition Engine, and get a headset (and the beta team too).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306901

Note that training the SR engine is not necessary, but it can increase the recognition rate by a few %.

---------- Post added 02-08-10 at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-07-10 at 02:15 PM ----------

OSRM Beta sent!

Last edited:

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Oh... my... GOD! This is beyond incredible. I have never felt so immersed in the futuristic aspect of the simulator! Being able to just tell the MFD to target, then spell out the target is amazing! I didn't expect it to work so well! Some points of work however: You should be able to select the MFD, then say "orbit" or " com nav" to select the program. I know the module is currently bound to strictly the keymap.cfg file, but I am sure there is a way to do this. I'll post more later!

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Oh... my... GOD! This is beyond incredible. I have never felt so immersed in the futuristic aspect of the simulator! Being able to just tell the MFD to target, then spell out the target is amazing! I didn't expect it to work so well! Some points of work however: You should be able to select the MFD, then say "orbit" or " com nav" to select the program. I know the module is currently bound to strictly the keymap.cfg file, but I am sure there is a way to do this. I'll post more later!

Lol that comment made my day!!

Actually you can select the MFD, but you have to do it from the MFD modes list page. Say "MFD select" to go to the MFD modes list, then say "Orbit MFD" to open it. You can open those MFD's which have a cfg file only. The release includes cfg files for all the basic MFD modes.

The "generic commands" are bound only to the keymap.cfg, but there are also what I call "vessel commands" and "MFD commands" which are configured by their own custom cfg files.

Last edited: