Project Orbiter Speech Recognition Module - Beta Testers Needed

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I remember programming with Microsoft SAPI using the speech SDK a long time ago....tried the more easy stuff like converting text to sound. Wouldn't it be possible to have replies from the DG by using the same engine ?

It can be done, but I'm not planning on doing that for this release. I don't think it's the same engine, but it is uses the same libraries as speech recognition (SAPI). Maybe for a later version I'll add customizable text to speech or something using TTS.

Last edited:

guitarist473

The UMMU that can play guitar
Reaction score
sorry ive not been able to test this yet.
im just pressed this week with my GCSEs and major SATs.
but im off all next week and :censored: to course work...
ive got 23 and 1/2 hour a day computer assignment to do and it involes... playing orbiter :p (needs ma 1/2 hour a dayz sleepz)
so yeah after this week i will be playing orbiter solid and i will be able to give you some feedback on this module.
thank you for your patience
guitarist473

Revolpathon

Reaction score
i can't get Pro to work, also any letter i try to spell out it alwayss recognizes as 8 (i re-initialised my speech recognition on windows.) (got it working now)

the mfd commands work, i just haven't figured out yet how to fully browse through them but i'll get there.

so far getting an autopilot loaded is troublesome (if i manually type one in then i can execute it fine) i'll start training my speech recognizition since for a non native english speaker it could be necessery because of the offlandish accent. (perhaps add it to the requirements :p)

i can execute kill rotation but what are the commands for orbit normal + and orbit normal -? and prograde and retrograde also does not seem to be working for me.

also when i've fiddled with the MFD's i can't load in autopilots into the dgIV (not using the dgIV-2) it won't recognise anything i say unless it deals with the mfd's themselves

Last edited:

Revolpathon

Reaction score
also spelling a target in the mfd isn't working, do i have to switch mode's for that in the windows speech thingy itself?

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
i can't get Pro to work, also any letter i try to spell out it alwayss recognizes as 8 (i re-initialised my speech recognition on windows.) (got it working now)

the mfd commands work, i just haven't figured out yet how to fully browse through them but i'll get there.

so far getting an autopilot loaded is troublesome (if i manually type one in then i can execute it fine) i'll start training my speech recognizition since for a non native english speaker it could be necessery because of the offlandish accent. (perhaps add it to the requirements :p)

i can execute kill rotation but what are the commands for orbit normal + and orbit normal -? and prograde and retrograde also does not seem to be working for me.

also when i've fiddled with the MFD's i can't load in autopilots into the dgIV (not using the dgIV-2) it won't recognise anything i say unless it deals with the mfd's themselves

Spelling words is not currently an OSRM feature, so it won't work.

Are you saying "pro" or the letters "p r o"? You're supposed to say the word "pro".

To see the commands and their phrases see the Config\OSRM folder.

Can you give me more information on the last bug, to see if I can reproduce it? What steps do you follow for it to happen? Thanks

Revolpathon

Reaction score
on bug reproduction: i load a dgIV scenario, change a couple of mfd's and turn power off and on, and then i try to attempt to enter an autopilot, so i say "pro" but it won't show it in the display, when i press p myself i try to call some numbers, in this case it was 904 but saying "niner" "zero" "four" (i changed nine to niner because i like it better) nothing happends.

so my guess is is that the osrm is stuck with the mfd's as soon as you start fiddling with them.

on the spelling bit, can't the windows speech recognition system take care of that?

vonneuman

Orbinaut
Reaction score
I know that I am saying "Pro", that is why I made the comment about how to say it. It is not working for the auto pilot.

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Allright guys, I;m going to post a video on my youtube channel as a tutorial. Give me 30 minutes :p

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Sorry to double post, but I want to make sure people see this. I have uploaded a tutorial video for everyone who wants to get a full grasp of the OSRM. Here is the URL:
I just uploaded it so it may need time to process.

Revolpathon

Reaction score
i noticed in the vid that you had the mfd fiddling and then the program display commands bug that i'm having (i heard you typing the letters in at some point in the vid).

i didn't know about the press command, that will make inputting targets easier :).

also if you have for example transx or launch mfd or imfd installed you have to add them to the config files in order to get to them by voice. (just a note there)

gonna fiddle around with it when the crew on iss is asleep :)

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
i noticed in the vid that you had the mfd fiddling and then the program display commands bug that i'm having (i heard you typing the letters in at some point in the vid).

i didn't know about the press command, that will make inputting targets easier :).

also if you have for example transx or launch mfd or imfd installed you have to add them to the config files in order to get to them by voice. (just a note there)

gonna fiddle around with it when the crew on iss is asleep :)

Yes I have created custom MFD files for BaseSync and AeroBrake... more will be made by me in the next couple of days for release in the alpha version of the module. And BTW: That problem with the flight display is actually the timewarp :D. If you have .1x timewarp then none of the voice commands will respond.

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for making that video unknown_orbiter. Now I understand the confusion with the "spell the words" thing:

Apparently that feature is a feature included in the code of the specific engine you downloaded. The OSRM code itself does not have that feature. Since I'm not using that engine, but I'm using one included with my Microsoft Office, saying "press --" does not work for me. I'm thinking if I should recommend downloading that specific engine so that feature works, or if I should code that feature into OSRM.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Juanelm - Are you using Windows XP? It seems unknown might be using Vista/Seven. Those come with a speech recognition engine that is integrated in the OS. Features such as the "press" command won't be available to XP.

Kudos for making this BTW. I made something like this with the SAPI, it supported high level commands such as: "climb to 3000 meters". But speech recognition if not extensively trained in XP sucks, so half the time it would have no idea what the hell I was talking about ;).

vonneuman

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Other than the problems with the auto pilot the osrm works fine, no bugs that I can find. This is a realy usefull addon. I can't count the number of times I have crashed during take off becuse of trying to fly and change mfds at the same time. Now all I have to do is call out the mfd I want and there it is, no paning down to change a mfd.

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
i was just wondering if the voice commands can be made shorter...sort of an optimization to OSRM :)....like say "Orbit MFD 1" brings up the orbit mfd in mfd 1 instead of going thru select etc...can be done for mfds which are required to be switched often or in tight situations. Also the press F8 stuff can instead be made just F8 since its unlikely that function keys will be used for anything else......

perhaps if osrm supports firing a string of commands for a single word recognized from the user then it can be made more flexible....does it already do that by the way ?

Also does the speech recognition improve with training ?

and of course..hats off to the creator !!!....I have a dream...that someday...there will be UMMU in orbiter we can talk to ...or at least who can talk to us at story points if TTS is supported !!!

Last edited:

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Juanelm - Are you using Windows XP? It seems unknown might be using Vista/Seven. Those come with a speech recognition engine that is integrated in the OS. Features such as the "press" command won't be available to XP.

Kudos for making this BTW. I made something like this with the SAPI, it supported high level commands such as: "climb to 3000 meters". But speech recognition if not extensively trained in XP sucks, so half the time it would have no idea what the hell I was talking about ;).

Thanks Computerex. Ohh, so it's Vista/Seven, cool... at least one reason to change from XP hehe

How did that module work? Did it have an autopilot? Did you release it?

Other than the problems with the auto pilot the osrm works fine, no bugs that I can find. This is a realy usefull addon. I can't count the number of times I have crashed during take off becuse of trying to fly and change mfds at the same time. Now all I have to do is call out the mfd I want and there it is, no paning down to change a mfd.

Cool. I'll be fixing that bug, adding some new capability and releasing a new beta soon.

I was just wondering if the voice commands can be made shorter...sort of an optimization to OSRM ....like say "Orbit MFD 1" brings up the orbit mfd in mfd 1 instead of going thru select etc...can be done for mfds which are required to be switched often or in tight situations.

That's a really good suggestion, I'm gonna look into it.

Also the press F8 stuff can instead be made just F8 since its unlikely that function keys will be used for anything else......

I am currently seriously considering that capability.

perhaps if osrm supports firing a string of commands for a single word recognized from the user then it can be made more flexible....does it already do that by the way ?

Currently it can press a series of buttons, but all at the same time. For what use would you want to press a string of commands?

Also does the speech recognition improve with training ?

For the XP engine, you can perform a "training session" that will improve the accurracy by a slight percentage. I believe for Vista/Seven it continually trains and gets better as you use it.

I'm not familiar with the Vista/Seven engine. Apparently it can also recognize in spanish and in french. It would be interesting if some spanish or french speaking Orbinaut using Vista/Seven would test the addon.

and of course..hats off to the creator !!!....I have a dream...that someday...there will be UMMU in orbiter we can talk to ...or at least who can talk to us at story points if TTS is supported !!!

Thanks! I hope we'll get there!

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
spanish and french? Perfect, I can do both :D. I could reproduce all of the config files for both languages... will add it to the list of things to do Juanelm :)... I will probably do 2 new tutorial videos for each language. Definately French, due to the high number of French speaking Orbiter communities. I know Spanish a bit better though, so we'll see.
I'm working on making final edits to all of my changes, which I will get to you Monday at latest...

Last edited:

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
spanish and french? Perfect, I can do both :D. I could reproduce all of the config files for both languages... will add it to the list of things to do Juanelm :)... I will probably do 2 new tutorial videos for each language. Definately French, due to the high number of French speaking Orbiter communities. I know Spanish a bit better though, so we'll see.
I'm working on making final edits to all of my changes, which I will get to you Monday at latest...

Awesome. My first language is spanish, but I use XP and it only works for english, so I can help with the cfgs but not test them. The french could be really popular as you say. It would be awesome if you could do three sets of cfgs, and the user just changes to another set if he is using another language.

I found out why the Align Planes MFD and the Sync Orbit MFD are not working: the names of the MFD's are wrong on the cfg files. Apparently, for these two MFD's the mfd name strings are not the same as those used in the scenario files... Plese replace them with "Align Planes" and "Sync Orbit" to fix them.

I am not being able to reproduce the DGIV computer-not-working bug. Unknown_orbiter, did you have this bug? Could you guys give me more specific steps to follow to see if I can reproduce it? Thnx.

I will try to make my fixes for monday then, so when you send me the new .cfgs I can release a new beta version.

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Awesome. My first language is spanish, but I use XP and it only works for english, so I can help with the cfgs but not test them. The french could be really popular as you say. It would be awesome if you could do three sets of cfgs, and the user just changes to another set if he is using another language.

I found out why the Align Planes MFD and the Sync Orbit MFD are not working: the names of the MFD's are wrong on the cfg files. Apparently, for these two MFD's the mfd name strings are not the same as those used in the scenario files... Plese replace them with "Align Planes" and "Sync Orbit" to fix them.

I am not being able to reproduce the DGIV computer-not-working bug. Unknown_orbiter, did you have this bug? Could you guys give me more specific steps to follow to see if I can reproduce it? Thnx.

I will try to make my fixes for monday then, so when you send me the new .cfgs I can release a new beta version.

The bug isn't actually a bug :p. If you try to do voice commands when you are at .1x timewarp, it doesn't work for some reason. The OSRM will recognize the command, but it will not activate the functions.

foxtrot

Pioneer
Reaction score
I would test but i don't have a headset and i don't think ill be getting one anytime soon.