Orbiter Startup Issues

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have been trying to debug startup issues that Orbiter been having and improved error reporting and checking. It's known that some Intel graphics chips such as Xe Graphics and Arc no longer support D3D9. There is a new graphics client added "D3D9ON12Client" which runs D3D9 through DX12 wrapper. There's also been problems that D3D9 is stuck on iGPU and doesn't run via high performance GPU. For some unknown reason DirectX 9 applications are no longer allowed to access high performance GPU on some computers. It's currently unknown if this limitation applies to DX12 wrapper as well. I can't test it because I don't have a computer with dual graphics. So, if you have a proper setup then could you test the D3D9ON12Client how it responses to GPU selection and post the Orbiter.log
I have attached a pre-build binaries for testing with Open Orbiter.

Attachments

• OOStartupTesting.zip
    7.8 MB · Views: 8

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
My home machine also does not have a dual graphics option, but at work I might find a spare machine to test on (during lunch break of course ;) )
But that has to wait until I'm back from "out-of-office" time, so not earlier than 2nd week next year.

Last edited:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
My home machine also does not have a dual graphics option, but at work I might find a spare machine to test on (during luch break of course ;) )
But that has to wait until I'm back from "out-of-office" time, so not earlier than 2nd week next year.
Ok, Thanks. I'll wait for that if no one else creates a report before that. I am hoping if we could launch Orbiter 2024 early next year.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi Jarmo,

1. I've tried your binaries (although I did not expect 32bit build)
  2. The System I had at Hand was a Windows 11 Machine with there GPUs:
    1704733176498.png
  3. On the launchpad Video-Tab when I first selected "D3D9on12Client" under "Graphics engine", the "3D device" Combo-Box was empty...
    Only after switching the Graphics Engine once to "D3D7Client", the "3D device" Combo-Box was filled - on all Engines now however.
  4. All Graphics engines (except "console mode" of course) presented the same 3D Devices:
    1704733527275.png
  5. I couldn't run any scenario, but that might be due to other reasons
  6. You'll find Orbiter.log attached
Does this help? or can I do something else - I have access to that machine tomorrow, too. After that I'm not sure I can get my fingers on an "unused machine" for quite a while.

/Kuddel

Attachments

• 1704733153688.png
    1704733153688.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Orbiter.log
    7.6 KB · Views: 1

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks for giving it a try. Based on the error code the probable cause for failure is missing runtimes.
Yes, I am working on x86 since the next Orbiter release will be x86. There are multiple issues with x64

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
All Graphics engines (except "console mode" of course) presented the same 3D Devices:

Those are DX7 devices. Toggling to DX7 and back to DX9 did not reset/re-fill the device list because a failed load of the D3D9on12 Module.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Does it need tests only with Xe Graphics? Maybe I misunderstood, I just have a laptop with dual graphics, thus I could make some tests if needed. That's my:

Без імені.png

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for giving it a try. Based on the error code the probable cause for failure is missing runtimes.
You mean the DirectX 9 runtimes? I couldn't install those, as it was not my machine ;) and I don't want to mess up that system.
If we are lucky I can get my hands on another machine[*] on wednesday where I can do everything because it will get wiped (complete OS reinstall) anyway ;)
Prop a note if I can make some more test.

[*] Hopefully having 2 GPUs

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I have been trying to debug startup issues that Orbiter been having and improved error reporting and checking. It's known that some Intel graphics chips such as Xe Graphics and Arc no longer support D3D9. There is a new graphics client added "D3D9ON12Client" which runs D3D9 through DX12 wrapper. There's also been problems that D3D9 is stuck on iGPU and doesn't run via high performance GPU. For some unknown reason DirectX 9 applications are no longer allowed to access high performance GPU on some computers. It's currently unknown if this limitation applies to DX12 wrapper as well. I can't test it because I don't have a computer with dual graphics. So, if you have a proper setup then could you test the D3D9ON12Client how it responses to GPU selection and post the Orbiter.log
I have attached a pre-build binaries for testing with Open Orbiter.
Here are my results, with screens showing framerate and some red lines issue:
- D3D9_Intel
CurrentState_D3D9_Intel.jpg

- D3D9_NVIDIA
CurrentState_D3D9_NVIDIA.jpg

- D3D9on12_Intel
CurrentState_D3D9on12_Intel.jpg

- D3D9on12_NVIDIA
CurrentState_D3D9on12_NVIDIA.jpg

Attachments

• Orbiter.log
    31.1 KB · Views: 4

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for testing. This attempt to create D3D9on12 device for a specific DX12 device doesn't appear to work any better than the simpler solution we already have in main. So, we can close testing. I guess we should start working on a next client but there are so many other things that need doing as well. I was kinda hoping to start working on vessel construction tool and development tools in general.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If we are lucky I can get my hands on another machine[*] on wednesday where I can do everything because it will get wiped (complete OS reinstall) anyway ;)
Ok, thanks but don't bother. No need to put any more time on this.