Orbiter Video Thread

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Another sneaky peek into things to come (I realise that I have somewhat of an unfair advantage in this thread, but there you go - developer's privilege :lol:)

Taking a Delta-glider for a spin over the Alps, with selfmade Landsat-based textures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsLEvLcYh6I

Watch this spot for an upcoming article with details!

Wauughghhgh :hailprobe:

G5hhP.jpg

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Is that collision with the ground I see at the start there? If so I can't wait for supersonic races though the grand canyon. If you can actually hit the walls it should add quite some to the thrill of it.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Another sneaky peek into things to come...

Perfect!

When terrain was discussed over and over, I always mentioned a simple solution like that!
I'm sure that it will run well on all configurations and it is enough for what we need of a Space Flight Simulator.
Sure, taking off over sloped terrain is not the best option, but for a planetary lander, we don't need anything else!

Having bases at different altitudes (atmospheric density) will impact flying on Mars, for example. The performance of any vehicle will be quite different.

For terrain navigation asteroids will be fun. There's good altimetry data for them.

Some time ago I made a contact with a nice scientist from the Cassini mission, regarding heightmap data of Saturn's satellites.
I'm positive we can get permission to use it if there's an official request from Orbiter's developer :tiphat:

Last edited:

ao7g

Alien of the 7th...
Reaction score
I'm working on an autopilot for flying saucers, should be great with the next orbiter version, with terrains to follow...

Last edited by a moderator:

ao7g

Alien of the 7th...
Reaction score
WTF speed limit ? (at KSC...)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9con6y-2GMc"]Shuttle race at KSC - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
note: This video is not mine. It was made by Italian space engineering students.

Undiscovered talent?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted before but I just saw it today. Also see the other videos in Hadfield's hilarious series that leads up to this.

Pablo49

Reaction score

i made a video of my first mission too mars! it was a sucsess!

Paz666

Reaction score
After a very high number of fails I managed to do part of this mission (the best part :lol:) by the numbers... more or less :p I Hope you like it!

Unstung

Reaction score
I'm a few days late (December 31) on a video that I thought would only require about three nights' effort since it is under 90 seconds. Filming a short, relatively simple part of a mission lets me focus on making the sequence as good looking as I currently can without spending an even more ridiculous amount of time on the video.

If I ever put in the effort to learn how to make planets, moons, and asteroids in Blender and animate them better, I may stop using Orbiter for videos. I can find spacecraft models online and expand my knowledge of animating in Blender. But Cassini-Huygens and Requiem for Galileo is the closest I am now to making full animations, only using Orbiter for planet models.

The detail of a Saturn V on the pad in AMSO is astounding. The effects used to made the add-ons look better were minor, slight color corrections and contrast, sharpening, glow to enhance the rocket flames and the moon, and masking to create a shallow depth of field. I've already released two tutorials on my channel that cover my most complicated effects (they just require masking); all enhancements I add follow the same process since Mars Spring Odyssey.

INTO the VACUUM is my highest quality video ever recorded and outputted, 1080p30 with a bit rate of 15 Mb/s (Requiem for Galileo was 1080p24, 8 Mb/s). It produced a large file, just over 100 MB (before YouTube compression), but with an absurd 12 GB of uncompressed footage used. The frame rate is very smooth, with over 99% of the footage running at 30 FPS. Just film Orbiter at half speed (or less) and double the playback in editing for a smooth frame rate. I wish I thought of that when I started making videos. Audio levels are controlled so the sound doesn't become compressed any further. Here's what the project looks like:
into_the_vacuum_project_by_unstung-d70ve59.png

Last edited:

Pablo49

Reaction score
I see you too use Sony Vegas. I am not alone in my struggles. :(

Edit: Watched. Nice video! A few of the shots while on the pad were really neat.

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
quick GMAX video of making rocket using lathe modifier

TeddyJohn

Reaction score
This is not a tutorial but a demonstration.
Best seen in HD full screen.

Last edited: