Orbiter Windows XP Oracle Virtual Box VM on Mac OSX Cockpit Rendering Problem

tweeb

Reaction score
Hi,
New to Orbiter - I am having problems trying to run Orbiter under XP in an Oracle Virtual Box VM on a MacbookPro OSX. It doesn't seem to render the cockpit controls correctly for either the DG (or a Shuttle). HUDs look OK just no controls - coloured blocks with no content.

Has anyone run Orbiter in OSX under Virtual Box? What parameters have you used? Any help appreciated.

MacbookPro 5,1 4GB RAM OSX 10.9
Virtual Box 4.3.4 with Guest Additions 3D Acceleration Enabled. 2GB RAM and 128MB Video Ram to XP
XP SP3
Orbiter 2010 - No addons - Seems to have DirectX enabled but only get RGB Video Option.

Hopefully attached/uploaded my cfg and log files.

Thanks
Terry

Attachments

• Orbiter.log
    3.6 KB · Views: 1

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Normally people run Orbiter on Linux through Wine. Have you tried it?

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Any chance of a screenshot of the problem, taken using your host OSX? That may help to recognize the problem. Also, try the "Always Enumerate Devices" option in the Orbiter Launchpad menu, as I think that can help Orbiter find "lost" graphics cards. (And I'm assuming you meant Unix, Enjo? :D )

Edit: Does it look like the picture in here? http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=400509

Last edited:

tweeb

Reaction score
Hi Spacethingy - Yes it looks exactly like the example you listed. I have "always enumerate' checked - I have never yet seen anything except just the RGB option. Thx. Terry

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
And I'm assuming you meant Unix, Enjo? :D
We could argue here that OSX and Linux are Unix-like, while Unix was a separate operating system. What I meant is that I haven't seen anybody running Orbiter on OSX through Wine, only on Linux, although Wine is available on OSX as well.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Wine is available on OSX as well.
WINE doesn't have OSX build package, but only source which requires you to build it, and that may scare some people from using it on OSX in favor for other (virtualization) software, which you can simply install from a .dmg file.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Ah, didn't know that. So I guess it's for them to decide what they want, still not knowing if it runs under WINE in the end.

tweeb

Reaction score
As mentioned I had a look at WINE but did notice that for OS X you seem to have to build it all from source or use some WINE wrapper type software. As an old software techie I should be able to do it but would have to read up a bit more about it before I could give it a try. Surely someone runs it under OS X?