Problem orbiter091124beta, oglaclient-091029_beta-091020, Ubuntu (Karmic)

dissident

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've come across OGLAClient in the past few day, and have been trying to get it to run on a stock standard Kubuntu (Karmic) installation.

I am using the 091124 Orbiter beta and OGLAClient 091029_beta-091020.

At first I couldn't get anything to work. The initial problem was that the Modules/Plugin folder was unzipping as modules/plugin, lowercase, as linux is case sensitive. Once I renamed the folders and put the relevant files into the standard locations of the Orbiter folder, I was able to activate the oglaclient module and get it started.

If I start it (using wine 1.0.1) the, the Launchpad starts up no problem. If I enable the oglaclient module, it starts up but the screen flickers. Currently I'm testing it using a window, but it flickers on window or fullscreen.

If I use the orbiter_ng.exe to start up Orbiter, I can just make out a message on the screen.

"VBO not available. Running unaccelerated"

One thing of note.
- When starting with orbiter_ng.exe, in the video settings i have OpenGL Device as a 3d device.
- When starting with orbiter.exe, in the video settings i have Wine D3D T&L HAL (no OpenGL selection).

I believe VBO is an OpenGL feature. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
To use OVP clients you need to run orbiter_ng.exe, no use activating the module in orbiter.exe.

The VBO message is from OpenGL, meaning you don't have accelerated graphics drivers installed (or an ancient video card). It might take a long while to load under this condition, and will run uber slow, but it could do it.

What GPU do you have?

dissident

Reaction score
Hi Artlav

GPU: ATI Technologies Inc RV516 XT Radeon X1600 Series.

As far as I can tell, accelerated graphics is enabled.

I've attached the following output as attachments:

• output of glxinfo
  • Orbiter.log
  • ogla.log
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• glxinfo.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 2
  • ogla.log.txt
    959 bytes · Views: 3
  • Orbiter.log.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 3

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Yes, everything looks fine, but for some reason many config options are disabled, to a point of uselessnes.
Check for case - "OGLAClient.cfg".
What if you press F11-3?

What exactly is wrong anyway?
You see a blank window?

dissident

Reaction score
The window title displays the following info:
fps: (maximum of about 20)
polys: 48803
Rate: 0.93 MTri/s

F11 didn't work, but the screen showed that I could push F7. I did, chose option 3 (VBO accel, and the application (as well as my X11 session) crashed. The ogla.log showed the following lines when I started a new X11 session:

Code:
2010/01/12 09:29:18 PM|   ORBGL| Error: Error in drwoplanet (i=0)
2010/01/12 09:29:18 PM|   ORBGL| Error: Error in drwoplanet (i=25)

Basically I can see screen flicker, overwhelmingly white, with flashes of the actual simulation in the background. 1/3 of the way up the screen, the message "VBO not available. Running unaccelerated", is displayed.

I've attached my OGLAClient.cfg file for reference. Note that I've been playing with various options, disabling quite a number over time of them to see if it would work.

Attachments

• OGLAClient.cfg.txt
    473 bytes · Views: 2