order of operations in a straight equation

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes, I know. I was skipping over that because 'and' and 'add' are different. Computer science is a different field (whilst closely related).

The math in computer science is the same math you use in general mathematics. It is a bit sad since other kinds of mathematics would be better suited... but well. computer science is also not about real computers.

JEL: Let me suggest the following hypothesis: Regardless how much your country invests for education, the number of idiots who can't do simple math, but post in facebook, will remain constant.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
agentgonzo said:
Really??? Can you let me know which one?

C3PO said:
(I Kings 7, 23)
And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it about.

30/10=3 :facts:

:thumbup:

Here comes the "rounding to first significant digit" defense...

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Here comes the "rounding to first significant digit" defense...

Like: 30.0000000000000000/10.0000000000000000000000=3.000000000000000000

:hmm:

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
Let me suggest the following hypothesis: Regardless how much your country invests for education, the number of idiots who can't do simple math, but post in facebook, will remain constant.

If we spend nothing on education, then how will the non-idiots learn simple math?
No human child, idiot or not, is born with the ability to correctly calculate "10 + 10 * 0", as far as I'm aware of.

Let me suggest a hypothesis: Increasing the number of people who can arrive at the correct math-result, not necessarily by understanding all the finer details of math but just as well by use of technology that does the 'understanding' for them, will lessen the number of math-errors and math-confusion happening in society.

Like spell-checkers :)
They sometimes catch errors that would otherwise go unnoticed. And when you've had a certain error repeat a number of times you'll remember to spell it correctly in the future, so they even improve your skills over time. That is good technology :)