OHM Orulex_Collisions_UCGO

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: artlav

This module does collision detection on Orulex mesh, based on Shukra deck system.

-Allows you to land, walk and roll on the Orulex-generated mesh.
-Compatible with most Orulex versions prior to OGLA.
-Supports all kinds of vessels.
-Limited support of UMmu 1.0 and 2.0.
-Limited support of UCGO cars and cargoes.
-Should be stable (much more stable than any meshland derivative before it).

Usage:
-Unpack
-Activate collision-orulex module
-Enjoy (hopefully)

Bug reports are welcome in the discussion thread.

Changes 100119-100128:
-UCGO support
-Debugging, debugging...
-Fixed UMMU stops on going downhill
-Fixed random vessel repositioning
-etc.

DOWNLOAD

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Clarifying limited UMmu support: You can land Arrow or DGIV onto the mountains, disembark and walk around, but you generally won't be able to pick anything up, and turbopack autopilots will be useless.

Also, "." key is working as strong brake if you vessel is sliding across the mesh.

This is a radically new approach to collision detection in Orbiter, so feedback is welcome.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
any chance of UCGO car support in the future ?

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hey, just downloaded. This is simply stunning!!! I can just land a DGIV wherever, EVA a UMMU, and go exploring, which is awesome.

One minor thing. When I'm walking around with a UMMU 2.0, using the arrow keys, it seems that every 5 seconds or so, the UMMU "jumps" up, and then lands back down. This was on ganymede, on some random small plateau that I found and landed on. It seems that this "jumping" occurs more frequently on steep slopes, and less frequently on more flat surfaces. Are you experiencing this? I can live with the small problem, the benefits of the this awesome addon FAR outweigh this minor bug, I was just wondering if you are experiencing this.

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication. Everybody really appreciates all you do for us.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Dump question, is this an update of or related to collision_ml_090616 (http://www.ibiblio.org/mscorbit/mscforum/index.php?topic=1962.msg18122#msg18122) we're using for NASSP?
Yes and no. It's the same CollisionSDK framework, but a different collision approach, one that will only work with Orulex, and thus largely useless for NASSP's defined bases.
On the other hand, if it proves to work nicely, it can be expanded there too.

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

It seems that this "jumping" occurs more frequently on steep slopes, and less frequently on more flat surfaces. Are you experiencing this?
Yes, it should happen when you go downslope, especially on low-G worlds - the UMmu momentarily looses contact with the ground, and thinks itself in mid-vacuum, stopping and turning. Not much i can do to fix.

Now, to fix a few bug, get UCGO to work properly and merge it with the rest of Collision SDK...

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
That would be nice, perhaps it's possible to fix the "jump bug"
Yes, that bug is nonexistent in this version, along with slope instability of the rover. Actually, this version seems perfect for the NASSP's simple land and roam model. Only problem is that tilting will be real tricky to add without ruining stability.

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
ok..thanks Artlav for pointing me here....I installed

orulex_collision_100119
Orulex-1.2.0
moon-hmap-lv8
MLVS-WIP-080327

in that order and it works great - simply amazing. Is there any way to prevent the camera from dipping into the mesh at times ? Also after landing on the mesh some of the DG wheels seems to have dipped slightly inside the mesh....like there is some mud in which the DG is stuck !!

I had shifted the location of Brighton Beach so it was getting buried in the mesh - now the crater and base is perfectly aligned.

One other question - if a texture of higher resolution is used for the moons surface - that will be the texture stretched across the heightmap right ?

Awesome work !!!

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
MLVS-WIP-080327
That one is redundant if you have orulex_collision_100119 set, it will only skew everyting (if ON ofcourse).

Is there any way to prevent the camera from dipping into the mesh at times ?
Not even remotely possible.

Also after landing on the mesh some of the DG wheels seems to have dipped slightly inside the mesh....like there is some mud in which the DG is stuck !!
Nothing i can do - the tilting is hard to add, plus there are some imperfections in the mesh-vs-function representation.

One other question - if a texture of higher resolution is used for the moons surface - that will be the texture stretched across the heightmap right ?
Textures and heightmaps are separate, you can use any lv with any other lv.

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
ok....by the way I PMed you about Spaceway.

And I was wondering....is it possible to use the collsion SDK to add limited amount of collsion detection to the Arrow ? eg. if I wanted the crew lift to actually lift crew inside the Arrow ? I think you did something similar with the Hover Carrier Demo.

Last edited:

mc_

Reaction score
Got a problem with grappling/unpacking UCGO payloads with UMMU 2.0. Just nothig happens... So, still have to deactivate your addon when moving crates and so on, and then acctivate it back.

Ark

Reaction score
Love the new system, I can actually touch the mesh going more than .1 m/s without going into a death spiral. The UMMU motion up and down slopes is awesome, too, though it requires some imagination when he dips above and below the visible mesh at times.

This is something a bit annoying, though:

mltest.jpg

Usually when the UMMU guy comes out the hatch cockeyed, he auto-levels upon contact with the ground. When contacting the mesh on Europa here, he seems to freeze in that attitude. Arrow key movement is normal.

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
It works not correct, the SH-A and UMMU falling through the meshes, but keep then some 100 meters over normal surface, it seems to works partly.
I can fly through mountens. The old meshland_2 with collisions was better, vehicels follow every outlines there, but more instabel than the new.
Both are to slippery, if a vehicel begin to move or rotate it will never stop, but not every celestial body has an ice surface. Needs some work.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
UCGO support update:
-Support of UMmu 1.0 and 2.0.
-Limited support of UCGO cars and cargoes.
-UCGO support
-Debugging, debugging...
-Fixed UMMU stops on going downhill
-Fixed random vessel repositioning
-Better save/restore support

If everything is right, you can now drive around mountains, set up bases on hilltops, do whatever you want on the mesh.
Also, bug fixes.

Drawbacks are ("Limited"):
-no air inside bases (unfixable)
-several presses may be needed to pick up/unpack cargo (unfixable)
-Orientations of the objects can get weird (could be fixable)
-Motion is start/stop, no momentum (may be fixed)
-After reloading a save, pressing C, U, or G will reset the missing objects to their proper places (if any are off)
-Press . key when transitioning from the ground to the mesh, this will stop the vehicle/UMMU, transferring it to the collision system. (no better way)
-Cars may think they are still running, preventing passenger exit. Just hit the brakes. (unfixable, N/P)
-No time accel restriction on cars (fix?)

orulex_collision_100128.jpg

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice. Collision only works when the vessel is not moving. Otherwise it just slowly sinks beneath the terrain mesh. Once you zero out the motion, it slowly starts drifting to the top.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Collision only works when the vessel is not moving. Otherwise it just slowly sinks beneath the terrain mesh. Once you zero out the motion, it slowly starts drifting to the top.
Um? Why is it that my add-ons always work in unimaginably impossible ways on your setup, ctex?

Ark

Reaction score
Nice. Collision only works when the vessel is not moving. Otherwise it just slowly sinks beneath the terrain mesh. Once you zero out the motion, it slowly starts drifting to the top.

That happens when I transition from Orbiter ground to Orulex ground, the car just keeps sailing through the mesh and slowly drifting up. If I push the "." key and bring it to a stop, it rises to the proper level on the mesh and Orulex controls take over. Works pretty well, really. Base-building is impossible without auto-leveling for the cargo pieces.