General Question Outer Planets ... bug?

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey guys. I know the Outer Planets is no longer supported, but I just installed it on my 2010 Orbiter setup (including the patch) and got it to work.

Well, mostly.

I had a CTD with Jupiter's moon Iocaste but I got that to work, it looked like the cfg file didn't copy across right. Same with Saturn's moon Ijiraq.

Now here's where it gets weird.

Jupiter's moon Aitne, I can see the mesh if I'm looking at it from elsewhere (i.e. change my camera view to there), but if I run the Aitne scenario I get a ctd. Same with the Saturn-Iapetus scenario. I can see the mesh if I change the camera view from another scenario, but if I run the Saturn-Iapetus scenario I get a ctd.

The other weird bug is the Jupiter-Metis scenario. The rock mesh shows but the DG is inside the moon, at it's core.

I've been away too long (three years!) so I don't remember much about parameters of the files, but I'll post whatever you guys need. One thing I did notice: In the Iapetus cfg file there's a line that says Module = Iapetus, but there is no module named Iapetus in the base install. Could that be a part of the problem?

Oh, I should mention I'm on Windows 7.

Oh, something else odd (but minor) that I noticed: when I turned on Jupiter's rings... I watched a GIANT Amalthea pass behind Jupiter as Jupiter eclipsed it.

FarOutInFernley

Reaction score
i get buggy things like that with TOP too...so much so i quit installing it, i dont mind missing a few moons

VF2_Rolf

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
In regards to the Aitne scenario, I have no explanation. Everything seems in order and even after writing a new scenario for it (Launch from Aitne) I still get a CTD...odd. It doesn't seem to be a config problem as the moon is there in other scenarios.

Iapetus: If you're having troubles with this moon try this older config rather than the one included in the latest Outer Planets...just copy paste over the old one.

; === Configuration file for moon Iapetus(Saturn)===
Name = Iapetus
EllipticOrbit = TRUE ; assume unperturbed orbit
HasElements = TRUE ; orbital elements follow
; === Planetary Mean Orbits ===
Epoch = 2005.41409993155
SemiMajorAxis = 3563513670.80278
Eccentricity = 2.74067153032204E-02
Inclination = .301134848386533
LongAscNode = 2.43156226496383
LongPerihelion = 6.44545565088942
MeanLongitude = 9.61848428770356
; === Physical Parameters ===
Mass = 1.6e22
Size = 7.30e5
SidRotPeriod = 6854112 ; 79.33 days (assuming sync. orbit)
SidRotOffset = 0
Obliquity = 0.4895 ; inherit from Saturn
LAN = 6.09808 ; inherit from Saturn
AlbedoRGB = 0.19 0.19 0.19
; === Visualisation Parameters ===
MaxPatchResolution = 5

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

I found a bit of an error is Io's trace atmosphere settings as well. Just copy and paste this to your Io config overwriting the old atmosphere parameters. Should look a lot better...

; === Atmospheric Parameters ===
AtmPressure0 = 0.0001
AtmDensity0 = 0.0001
AtmGasConstant = 1.92 ; ? specific gas constant [J/(K kg)]
AtmGamma = 0.3333 ; ? specific heat ratio c_p/c_v
AtmAltLimit = 20e3 ; ?
AtmHorizonAlt = 20e3 ; ? horizon rendering altitude [m]
AtmColor0 = 0.12 0.04 0.03 ; ?
AtmHazeColor = 0.31 0.18 0.18
AtmHazeDensity = 1.5
AtmHazeExtent = 0.17

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Oh, something else odd (but minor) that I noticed: when I turned on Jupiter's rings... I watched a GIANT Amalthea pass behind Jupiter as Jupiter eclipsed it.

I think this is probably caused by the ring texture conflicting with mesh files...this seems common. Some meshes just plain disappear or do other weird things when viewed near rings...this is why the majority of moons used in the Outer Planets don't use mesh files but are rather shown as a sphere.

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Odd... I revisited the Iapetus scenario and no longer get a CTD. Anyway thanks for the help. :)

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Necromancing an old thread of mine, since I am the OP and it contains relevant information. I'm not sure if Rolf is still around, but I'd like to try to put together a package resurrecting this old add-on.

I'm testing it in 2016, and so far there's only half a dozen moons that are problematic. Most of these seem to have no surface. The texture is there but you can fly right through it. The scenarios start with a delta glider at the center of the moon. Leaving those rocks out might be the way to go... unless I can figure out how to make the moons solid...

The Aitne scenario still crashes, but if you remove that scenario, you can see the moon fine in other scenarios. I'll have to navigate to it and see if there are any issues actually landing on it.

jackhelp

Reaction score
hello

Hello guys. I know the Outer Planets is no longer supported, but I just installed it on my 2010 Orbiter setup and got it to work.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
If I remember this, there were issues relating to the module used for some Trojan moons that followed very non-Keplerian trajectories.

I would recommend a "lite" version if you are going to work on this again. Something where you would concentrate only only a few of the largest irregular moons for each planet. (Amalthea in particular would be good to have by itself.) I've concluded that in practice, including every small rock in Orbiter accomplishes little other than slowing down performance and making it very annoying to cycle through every object in IMFD or TransX.