Patch

Lacker

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just found Orbiter and am truly hooked...though equally inexperienced.

I'm fumbling my way through the manual etc and found the great you tube tutorial by Darian on launching the shuttle. I know I'm supposed to start with the glider, other threads here say that anyhow, but I'm just kinda hooked on the shuttle.

I have 2 questions.

My first question is regarding the patch. I pulled the Base060929 file and unzipped (WINrar) it into a folder on my desktop labeled "Orbiter". I then pulled the 060920patch_base file and unzipped it into the same folder, clicking "Yes to all" when asked about overwrites.

The problem is it doesn't seem to do anything. My cockpit isn't interactive like in the youtube tutorial.

Is there an even more recent update on the shuttle?

moz-screenshot-1.jpg
Second, and if this is somewhere in the manual I apologize, I know I'm supposed to Roll and Pitch after lift off but I don't know roll to where and pitch to what. Help?

Thanks so much all,

Aaron

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
The patch is only needed for if you already have the older 06 version.
With the base package you have, you are already up to date.
The video was most likely not made with the included shuttle atlantis, but rather the Shuttle Fleet or Space Shuttle Ultra.

Happy Orbiting

EDIT:

Next time you should attach the picture or upload it somewhere so that it can be accessed by everyone.

Lacker

Reaction score
"Happy orbiting"...ha easy for you to say...you don't keep plummeting to the ground somewhere in the Yukon moments after you jettison your tank :D

Needless to say I am still quite confused.

What are Shuttle Fleet or Space Shuttle Ultra? Orbiter addons or other sims. It looked and sounded the same.
is the video I'm watching RE: Docking with the ISS.

Any tips on Roll/Pitch? Again I'm just winging it right now which is bad I know but my understanding is that I roll to dictate the orientation of my pitch, and I pitch to find the angle that best hits my needed orbit trajectory.

Is that much at least true?

Thanks,

A

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
To quote the description of the video you just posted:
Orbiter Space Shuttle Ultra addon, launch

There are tutorials around and the SSU manual is a wealth of information.
Using the search function in this forum wisely should help you find all the answers you need. I am not a shuttle flyer myself so I can't help you with specifics.

Oh, and :welcome: to the forum!

Lacker

Reaction score
Thanks again. I know how silly it is to provide answers that are literally staring people in the face. :p

FYI This time I ended up near the southern tip of Africa. Longer flight time but ultimately the same out come. Good thing I don't work for NASA.

A

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks again. I know how silly it is to provide answers that are literally staring people in the face. :p

FYI This time I ended up near the southern tip of Africa. Longer flight time but ultimately the same out come. Good thing I don't work for NASA.

A

Hmmm, Africa being a longer flight than the Yukon?

Are you launching retrograde (ie, west, over the continental US) or prograde (ie, east, over the atlantic)?

The correct answer is prograde/east. I'm thinking the shuttle might not have the ability to get into a retrograde orbit.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
I know you know this, but I'm just going to suggest something: Try getting into Orbit with the delta-glider first. If nothing else, it will allow you to understand at least what needs to happen to get into orbit.

"Oh, I already know that. You leave the atmosphere, then accelerate to orbital speeds. Easy"

Yeah, simple concept. But the Delta-Glider provides first hand experience for getting into orbit.

Now, before i get yelled at by some of the more seasoned pilots, I know the Space shuttle and the DG aren't even remotely similar. But, the concept is what I'm looking for.

I'm just learning now how to Launch the Shuttle into orbit...good luck!

Lacker

Reaction score
Heilor,

Yeah the Africa flight was further...I even got to see the tank jettison before burning up.

And thanks for the tip on a retro grade launch. I read about those buttons in the manual but understood very little. Can you tell me more about what they mean?

Kaito,

Yeah that's what everybody says. I know this sounds pretty silly given the nature of my questions here but I'm probably more familiar with what happens on accent than your average lackey. I mean I'm still a lackey but I love learning about the stuff and know a little anyhow that's helping me.

Also, the more I toy with the shuttle the more I'm figuring out what has to happen. It's kinda neat because I'm really learning a lot trial and error style by seeing my final flight times and where I end up and I'm enjoying the experimentation process.

Here's a question, when should I switch to the orbit guidance system? The one from the surface and the orbit one have different circles and I'm not sure when the best time is to swap over...maybe they overlap if I do my job right at lift off?

A

Tommy

Reaction score
The meaning of Prograde and Retrograde change, depending on the reference. A prograde orbit goes in an easterly direction, and a retrograde orbit goes westerly. Since the Earth spins toward the east, it's much easier to get int a prograde orbit, since the earth's spin gives you a head start.

As for the buttons, they are for autopilots. The Prograde autopilot points your ship into the direction of your orbit, and the Retrograde autopilot points it directly opposite the direction of your orbit. The "Go Play In Space" tutorial explains it more accurately, and covers which orbital operations they are used for.