Project Planetary Textures for D3D11

Kendo

Reaction score
Those Moon textures are very good. Shame about the fault with the normal textures, it does tend to spoil the effect. On saying that, In my mind, these are the best Moon textures I have seen.
Its possible its the level 11 moon surface textures are not correct.

Last edited:

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So, I'll go back and experiment with different composites, blending images, or altering the color look-up table.

This will sound crazy, but it might work on a crater landscape: Use the photo-negative of the IR image. (i.e., invert colors)

Reason: On a crater, the photo-negative really just looks like the photo-positive, only with the light source flipped 180.

The areas we see as "dark spots" in the visual spectrum, usually absorb the most heat from the sun, so they look like light spots in the IR spectrum. So dark in visible = bright in IR. So IR should look like a photo-negative.

At the very least, it might provide another picture to work with.

Here's a quick try at this:
mars_ir.jpg

vs:

9BVTm.png

Dmitrtr

Reaction score
Levels 1-8 are not included in the higher resolution packs, if you want the high resolution tiles you need to grab both.
\---Planets
+---Earth
| | Earth_Normals_LVL11.zip
| | Earth_Normals_LVL8.zip
| |
: | \---Moon
| Moon_Normals_LVL11.zip
| Moon_Normals_LVL8.zip
| Moon_Surface_LVL11.zip
| Moon_Surface_LVL8.zip
|
+---Jupiter
| +---Callisto
| | Callisto_Normals_LVL8.zip
| | Callisto_Surface_LVL8.zip
| | Callisto_Surface_LVL9.zip
| |
| \---Io
| Io_Surface_LVL8.zip
| Io_Normals_LVL8.zip
|
\---Mars
Mars_Normals_LVL10.zip
Mars_Normals_LVL8.zip
Mars_Surface_LVL10.zip
Mars_Surface_LVL8.zip

With the exception of the Earth Normals, these textures are all the work of John van Vliet, they were posted on CelestiaMotherlode.net under the Creative Commons licence.
Good job John! Especially on the Moon!
:cheers:

There is something strange, with mars L10 normals. L8 looks right from far distance everywhere. But L10 normals looks right in northern hemisphere, and inverted, and becomes opposite to L8 normals in south hemisphere.
This is clearly seen on Pavonis Mons, which is located on border between north and south hemispheres.

There is strongly needed normals or 3d terrain that match with Mars11L textures or 11L textures needed to be redone, because 11L mars texture great, but pale, faded and inexpressive without clearly expressed shadows, and it's not pretty without 3d terrain or normals. This is makes so great texture useless. But this is ideal for 3d terrain or normals. And it's the sad fact that so perfect texture mismath with OGLA 3d terrain and D3d11 Client normals. And I not use this GREAT texture. Why it mismatch? Can you describe me how to redo 11L mars texture?

Last edited:

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Textures in the Southern Hemisphere have to be rotated 180 degrees, and they might be in the reverse order as the Northern Hemisphere in the .tex file, but I can't remember that for sure.

EDIT: Here's what I mean. FYI, this is for the <= level 8 .tex file. That .tex file is basically an array of .dds files. The following are how the tiles are ordered (this should be for level 6 I believe).

Earth_6_tex.jpg

Last edited: