Project Pluto level 8

joffrey

Reaction score
Hi everyone !

I'm from the French community :)

I actually working on a level 8 texture for "Pluto and Moons" by piper ( [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4595"]Pluto and Moons[/ame] )

I made a first try, that I released on the Pappy's Hangar :

http://francophone.dansteph.com/?page=addon&id=158&language=english

co72.jpg

I need your feedbacks and advices to improve my work, notably on the realism. No problem if my texture needs to be reworked from scratch.

Thanks !

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
If I may suggest some ideas because you requested some:

From the screen shot, I feel that the overall "look" of it may be too close to our own moon. Visually, it looks like Tsiolkovsky crater and Tycho were either used as source material or pasted directly onto the Pluto.

Because the mares and smooth patches on the moon were due to rocky volcanism, perhaps it might be beneficial to take a look at some of the big, icy moons found around the solar system. Moons like Tethys and Europa- they seem to have wavy ridges (scientific term). Pluto is supposed to be kind of icy right? Maybe it looks more like an icy moon than a stony one.

:shrug:

joffrey

Reaction score
From the screen shot, I feel that the overall "look" of it may be too close to our own moon. Visually, it looks like Tsiolkovsky crater and Tycho were either used as source material or pasted directly onto the Pluto.

To create this Pluto map, I used the moon's surface texture as a basis, which I removed the mares to keep only the craters.

Because the mares and smooth patches on the moon were due to rocky volcanism, perhaps it might be beneficial to take a look at some of the big, icy moons found around the solar system. Moons like Tethys and Europa- they seem to have wavy ridges (scientific term). Pluto is supposed to be kind of icy right? Maybe it looks more like an icy moon than a stony one.

I agree with you. I heard somewhere that the Pluto's surface is near than the Triton's one :

768px-Triton_moon_mosaic_Voyager_2_%28large%29.jpg

According to Hubble's observations, the Pluto's surface is like this :

768px-Pluto-map-hs-2010-06-c180.jpg

I am very confused by the contrast of colors and luminosity. What are the dark areas ? The yellow one ?

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I think nobody knows, hence, new horizons!

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

I'm sure the light coming from Pluto is very dim, so maybe when the clear photos come the contrasts won't seem so stark??

Since we as humans are so familiar with the appearance of our own moon, maybe start with a base map of a less familiar moon to give it a more exotic look.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
it's probably not mercury-like either :hmm:

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Don't throw away your rejects, though. That looks like a FANTASTIC Mercury-analog for someone who's making a fictional star system.

Nobody knows, of course, what Pluto would look like. But yes, a good guess would be to start with Triton. Texture of a cantaloupe, color of an ice sculpture.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I agree, i think people have a hard time making really high resolution fictional planets. It's understandable, thats ALOT of detail to fabricate!!!