Project Port Grover

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
after 4 days since i started my initial plan, Port grover is 80% finished.

the reason ive not posted this is because i didnt want to get it started, then hit a speedbump, then look like a complete orbi-noob, like what has hapened with my previous projects, but now, im sure this will be ready by tuesday (this tuesday!!!)

picture.php

its basically a futuristic comsodrome, located just a little north of the equator, on the western coast of Africa (probably on land bought by ESA or someone who wanted to launch into GEO easily)
its designed to accomodate XR5s mostly, but its huge size means that anything smaller can launch as well. its runway is long enough for a fully laden XR5 to take of unassisted.

the hangars are much larger than their hosts, so if people release more vessels that are slightly bigger than the XR5, there shouldnt be a problem. also, if people release something slightly bigger than an XR2, they might be able to get them into the small hangars, and i might make a medium sized one in a future version if it seems logical (if the XR3 ever comes out and it turns out to be the people carrier of spacecraft (the XR2 being a sports car and the XR1 being a go-kart)
her are some shots of the heavy and light hangars, accomodating an XR5 and an XR2 respectivley. the central "hangars" are two way and used for Loading/unloading XR5s before and after missions, they are the same dimensions as the Heavy hangars but 1.5x longer:
picture.php

picture.php

since starting, I changed the layout only once, and im happy with the final plan at least

then i started putting in taxiways, one "runway" at a time, and after a couple of days (almost exactly half my time spend in just making a texture for my hangars) i had this working addon, just worthy of OHM
picture.php

but im not happy yet, i still have the following things to do:

a complete redo of the hangar textures, i realised after finishing them that i could optimise them to increase their quality threefold without any additional strain on hardware

add some simpler base objects to make it look more... habitated

work on the runway/main taxiway lighting system, not going into too much detail, but i only have one BEACONARRAY in at the moment, and i think i could do a little more without going too crazy

a quick personal beta test, pracitality mostly, checking that vessels can move around it easily and the PAPI and VASI arent too "Atlantis Shuttle-y"

and after that, it should be ready to hit the database, hope to bring it too you soon!

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
im afraid not, this is set to fit in with the XR5 crowd, so it doesnt have need for one. with the magic that the XRs run on, who needs vertical launch?

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
actually, it has 42 runway entries, totalling some 200-300 runway segments, plus 10 small and 6 large hangars (meshes) each with a copy of a currently very inefficient 2048pix^2 texture. it might be a little tougher on older computers

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
actually, it has 42 runway entries, totalling some 200-300 runway segments, plus 10 small and 6 large hangars (meshes) each with a copy of a currently very inefficient 2048pix^2 texture. it might be a little tougher on older computers
Oh. :eek:h:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I like the 'SLOW' textures - nice place to fly into.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, im no texture expert, so i had to find another way to make it appealing. It looks better than plain metal doesnt it?

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Every good base needs surface tiles, of resolution as high as possible. Your base looks good, it deserves surface tiles! ;)

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
is there any tutorial on how to do that? i wanted to do it but couldnt find out how

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It looks very nice :thumbup:

add some simpler base objects to make it look more... habitated

Maybe you could add a few cylinders for fuel tanks (at a safe distance) :p?

And of course a control tower ! :)

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
that was the plan, ive decided that if spaceports like this appear in the future, they would be somewhat similar to airports of today, but with more... everything!

this is just the first stage, i need to add the base objects, and now i want to do surface tiles as well... if i can find out how

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
im afraid not, this is set to fit in with the XR5 crowd, so it doesnt have need for one. with the magic that the XRs run on, who needs vertical launch?

You could have a Helipad somwhere, and an (invisible?) Lpad as a fuel station.

Looking great so far.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You could have a Helipad somwhere, and an (invisible?) Lpad as a fuel station.

The easy trick to make LPADs invisibles : scale them 0.0001

This way you can place some of them in the hangars, etc... allowing players to create easily their own scenarios. Just add in the documentation a table with the LPAD number and its location.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
a good idea, i might try it out.

right now im re-doing the hangar texture, half the size, but more detail, thanks to a more efficient mapping (i the old one used the same image 4 times on the same texture for different parts of the texture :S)

that means it will run better and be more detailed! :D

but the surface tiles problem still exists, is there a tutorial anywhere on how to do it?

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

ok, ive kept the quality of those textures the same, but now theyre 4x smaller (1024 pix^2) im just finishing the reverse-mapping of the last hangar type, then im ready for some base objects, then im done unless i do surface tiles!

should easily be ready by tuesday!

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

SUCCESS! after a wierd MSH export error, ive got all the hangars texture-optimised

thats my 2 hour work stint over with, once i get home from work, ill work on the objects to make it a more pleasant place to be, given a couple of days work, it should be looking nice, and ready for initial release.

more screenshots coming soon!

---------- Post added 03-21-11 at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-20-11 at 03:55 PM ----------

screenshots!

new hangar texture, could you tell its 4x smaller? didnt think so!
picture.php

just 5 objects added, and already it looks better
picture.php

Reaction score
Hi Grover

but the surface tiles problem still exists, is there a tutorial anywhere on how to do it?

I'd second the request/requirement for higher res surface tiles.
This thread contains some useful info (including a fairly detailed post by Notebook) on creating surface tiles. Not sure if it'll help, I've never attempted anything like it myself.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=10396

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
where else could i get the satalite images? the google earth tiles for that area are of poor quality and have a time difference as they shot it, so part of it was whot when it was cloudy :(

Firby

Reaction score
Any ideas when this finishes? I really cant wait to have another spaceport! I really don't have enough spaceport for a cool orbiter. But happy building! :tiphat:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
well, hopefully by tuesday night, though thats not taking into account these dastardly surface tiles. maybe that can be a V1.1, and ill release a V1 on tuesday anyway without them