Portable Space Sim

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Does a controller like this actually exist for simulation (gaming) purposes?

No. The 3DConnexion stuff is very similar, but it combines rotational and translational control in one. But thats where the idea of getting a cheap old joystick (Amiga era) from the global junkyard is a good idea. You could disassemble it, replace the damaged switches, add a third channel and then use it for your space sim box.

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Urwumpe is correct, hence the thread. A yoke is close, but it needs a spring load to go back to center, when you let go from either pushing or pulling. It doesn't need to be as big as a yoke either.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Urwumpe is correct, hence the thread. A yoke is close, but it needs a spring load to go back to center, when you let go from either pushing or pulling. It doesn't need to be as big as a yoke either.

You would also need at least an Arduino Uno board for getting the signals from your DIY THC into USB. At least then, you don't Need to reinvent the wheel, since there are already many Solutions in the community of how to make a "Human Interface Device", like a Gamepad or a Joystick.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That is exactly how the Translational Hand Controller (THC) works. Instead of the third axis being twist, it is push/pull. Other than that, it is the same as a joystick.

I always assumed that Push/Pull was Fwd/Rev (+/- Z in Orbiter) while Up/ Down was... well... ehrm.... Up/Down (+/- Y in Orbiter)

I have an old Logitech dual action gamepad that I want to turn into a controller for Orbiter. 4 axes, 10 buttons and a hat switch should be enough.
480_logitech_dual_action_rumble_top_view.jpg
480_logitech_dual_action_rumble_back_view.jpg

I'm sure you could get hold of a similar 2'nd hand controller without a significant budget increase.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Found by googling "Translational hand controller": http://sergiocurci.blogspot.com/

One non-obvious smart idea there: using a keyboard controller for interfacing your device to PC.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'd considered repurposing an old game controller for Orbiter use, but abandoned the idea.

But, Don, you are wanting something specific to use on the RMS, right?

I'd almost prefer an interface like the one from Yuri's URMS. But a dedicated box would be pretty sweet for immersion.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Found by googling "Translational hand controller": http://sergiocurci.blogspot.com/

One non-obvious smart idea there: using a keyboard controller for interfacing your device to PC.

Looks rather simple for just the RCS controller.

I assume this is someone on the forum. Anyone know who ?

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
From a PM exchange I had with kamaz:

...Anyway, from what I understood, he's using a normal 4 axis joystick, mounted on some kind of "guides" or "rails", whose movement is then translated into the 3rd missing axis with the help of two limit switches (interruptores de final de carrera), placed at the beginning and at the end of the guides.

At THC's heart there's a dismantled keyboard circuit. He identified where the numeric keypad keys were connected to, and soldered his wires in the same spots.

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 ----------

... I have an old Logitech dual action gamepad that I want to turn into a controller for Orbiter...
Don't mean to hijack, but while we're at it, assuming that I never owned a consolle (and don't know anything about it), is it reasonable/fun/useful to get such a controller for Orbiter?

I already have a good HOTAS setup (TM Cougar + Simped rudders); I would just add it to my pile of "toys".

Which one would you recommend? PS? Logitech? Other?

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack, but while we're at it, assuming that I never owned a consolle (and don't know anything about it), is it reasonable/fun/useful to get such a controller for Orbiter?

I already have a good HOTAS setup (TM Cougar + Simped rudders); I would just add it to my pile of "toys".

Which one would you recommend? PS? Logitech? Other?

I've never owned a console either (unless you count Amiga CDTV) :lol:

My gamepad is just a regular USB HID that happens to have 2 mini-joysticks. I bought it to use with an old laptop. That way I could still fly DGs with some precision even if I was away from my Saitek. :rofl:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
My idea for a THC for Orbiter.

Attachments

• THC.jpg
    THC.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 62
  • THCsideview.jpg