Software Problem using keyboard commands for RMS on Space Shuttle Atlantis

GCA

Reaction score
Hi. I would like to use keyboard commands to control the operation of the Remote Manipulator Arm (RMS) on Space Shuttle Atlantis, in order to deploy satellites. I am using the Orbiter 2010 P1 program, in the condition it comes in after installation. I read the "Atlantis with MMU & Satellite Version 3.0" pdf file. I am confused about whether or not there is a separate module that must be added, because I see no other files or discussion regarding this. I tried using the keyboard commands as described on page 5, but the program did nothing. I tried the commands with the satellite deployment scenarios from the program (the HST and LDEF in "Satellites and Probes" folder, and the Carina satellite in the Atlantis Satellite file).

I recognize that the program can open extra windows, with CTL+spacebar, and, then the RMS can be operated with a mouse. I can operate the program that way with no problem.

My interest, however, is to set up an educational exhibit. In the exhibit I would like to try to control the RMS with a joystick and perhaps an extra number keypad, working through an intermediate macro program. I would like the exhibit user to just operate the RMS through the commands I define on the macro program. (I don't want the user to have access to a mouse or regular keyboard.) It seems to me the easiest way would be to assign Orbiter 2010 keyboard commands through the macro program to the joystick and keypad inputs.

But so far I do not see how to control the RMS with keyboard commands.

I see also that perhaps keyboard commands could be defined with the keymap.cfg file. But I do not know the text commands the cfg file would need.

Is there a way to use the keyboard commands to operate the RMS? Thanks for any for any help you can offer.

Regards,
Gary (GCA)