Software Problems rendering panels

cymrych

The Probe abides
Donator
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a weird problem I can't quite wrap my brain around.

So, I mostly run Orbiter on my mid-range Win 7 64 desktop with great success, but occasionally my laptop is all I have handy. Years ago, when the laptop had Vista installed, I had Orbiter 06 and (at the time) the RC for what would become release 100626. And again, all ran well. Granted, not with anything like the framerate of my desktop, but it was manageable.

So, time has passed, laptop was wiped thoroughly and Win 7 64 installed. Mostly, this was to retask the laptop for astrophotographic usage, but I figured why not throw a few goodies on the machine for when I'm at a hotel away from my primary simulation rig.

But I'm a no-go. On both Orbiter 06 and 2010P1 virgin installs with only Orbiter Sound, I can't seem to see the panel in the DG. In 06, I can load a scenario fine, and I'll be sitting in the DG's VC. Press F8 and it goes to glass OK, press F8 to go to the 2d panels, and Orbiter crashes due to ddraw.dll.

In 2010P1, F8 at least allows the 2d panel to show up ... except it is a mostly blank panel. No knobs, no writing, nothing to click upon. And F8 to the glass cockpit, and the buttons for the MFDs are there, but no MFD itself. Pressing the buttons has no effect.

So, first thing was to re-download and install the Dx redistributable package. Done. Dxdiag shows all is well, and checks out. While I was at the cmd prompt, I went ahead and ran chkdsk and sfc /scannow, and again all checks out. And still no dice in either Orbiter installation.

I figure I must be missing something in my install, or the ordering of my install. Because I am out of ideas. Both worked under Vista, I ought to get them to work under 7 surely.

Any suggestions?