Project Project 1 Paul Erdős Class

MachJok

Reaction score
10/19 Update

Ah yes, another 2 months and time for some updates.

Model: refined the model and added a bay for the XR2 MKII. I am still trying to figure out how I want the debris shield to work.

Code: Yet to be started

Systems: I have done extensive reasearch into the closed loop NTR systems and have been developing synoptic/Crew Alert System pages (CAS): Note: All temps are in [R] = [F] + 459.15 or [R] = [°C] + 273.15 × 9⁄5 and all pressures are in atmospheres 1atm = 14.7psi, 29.92126"Hg, 1013.2mB etc.

H2%20schematic.png

Reactor Schematic with different symbology colors
Scale below Transparent Structure is the temp for it and the extreme temps were verified experimentally by the United Aircraft Corp. when they did their study. I added a bit of safety margin. From low to high: Amber (annealing temp), Blue (cold warm up operating range), Green (nominal 2160), Amber (Over temp risk of devitrification (quartz micro cracks)), Redline (devitrification guaranteed)

Cyan: Advisory / automatically resolved. No action Needed.
Amber/Yellow: Caution. Non nominal operation detected. Triggers Warning
Red: Warning. Requires immediate attention. Affects safety of flight Triggers Master Caution.

MICAS%20schematic%20demo.png

Overview of the MICAS (motor instrumentation and Crew alert system). This is still a WIP. This shows the status of each reactor and numbers appear for any caution or warning as seen in group 1 reactor 6. the radial line is Thrust%. The idea is to have each group be a touch activated area that will bring you to a group over view with each reactor and then each reactor will take you to the H2 synoptic or Ne synoptic. Numbering for all indicator is [reactor group]-[reactor]-[part/system name]-[number if applicable] so 1-6 Injector 1 refers to group 1, reactor 6, H2 injector for nozzle 1 of 7.

This is all preliminary and was done in inkscape. Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Have you assembled the formulae needed for future coding in Excel? Turns out one can do a lot of prototyping this way.

MachJok

Reaction score
I wouldn't even know where to begin with that. I have the NASA study which provides a lot of figures and equations for heat deposition rates and fuel flow, mass, btus/lb, temp, pressure, nominal start up conditions etc. I don't know if excel can handle the kinds of equations being presented. Link below for reference

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19680012569_1968012569.pdf

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 ----------

I just ran some numbers for fun for the hydrogen storage requirements

T: 20K
P: 68947.57 kPa
V: 8,501,760 L
for 10hrs of operation @ 100% thrust for all reactors -> this may be an error because the flow into the motor is only at 101.3kPa but im storing the H2 at 68947.57kPa

This means:
3550648.4975808 kg of H2
and 1814.36948 kg of 0.05 x 0.05 x 0.01 micron tungsten plates

Huh That is a lot of volume....

Last edited:

MachJok

Reaction score
Today I decided to shut down this project. For the past few months I have been trying to fix the model as the file was corrupted but to no avail. I am going to slowly work on a new project using some of the other stuff but the model side of this is dead. A new project will be coming soon.