PSA: English Grammar MEGA THREAD (All Your Grammar Are Belong To Us)

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Today's

Next week we will be adding a new three-point infraction titled, Incorrect use of possessive 'it'. [OK, not really. :p]

:cheers:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Next week we will be adding a new three-point infraction titled, Incorrect use of possessive 'it'. [OK, not really. :p]

Why not, it's a good idea! :thumbup: Would really improve the forum, just by aiding its readability.:rofl:

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
When I saw the title I thought you meant this.
it_new_movie_stephen_king_novel.jpg

:facepalm:

Darren

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Can we also cover your, you are and you're please?

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hooray! Orbiter Forum is becoming the centre for Grammar Nazis...

Darren

I really, really dislike that term. It implies there is something facist or wrong about caring about good English, and there is not. (Besides, the Nazis would have mainly spoken German, after all.)

You may not believe that it matters, and you are not alone in that opinion. However there are a few of us who really do care about taking the time to express your opinions in the clearest way possible, and using proper sentence structure, with correct spelling and punctuation, is the best way to do that.

If that is too much hard work for you, then maybe think twice about posting. It doesn't take much effort, and it makes the internet just a little bit better with every correctly placed apostrophe.

Garyw said:
Can we also cover your, you are and you're please?

Indeed we can.

Your: Possessive "You", refers to something in your possession.

You're: Contraction for You are. Used to refer to something you're doing.

Examples:

Correct: Your mother has confiscated your PS3 because you're too young to play 90% of the games you have for it.

Incorrect: You're mother has confiscated you're PS3 because your too young to play 90% of the games you have for it.

Why is that incorrect? Let's expand those contractions:

You are mother has confiscated you are PS3 because [the too young you have] to play 90% of the games for it.

That makes no sense.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hooray! Orbiter Forum is becoming the centre for Grammar Nazis...

What is wrong with encouraging proper grammar and spelling in an international forum? I am not a native English speaker, and every time, I read a post written by a chat-legasthenic*, despite the availability of spell checkers, I am not only having a hard time deciphering the post, but also get annoyed by the disrespect of the poster against the people who should read this.

This is a forum, and not a FPS, where you need to type your communication in fractions of a second and proper spelling is less important than surviving while typing the message.

Also, I dislike the inflation of the use of the Nazi-attribute. True grammar-Nazis would attack you despite you using absolutely correct grammar. Just like real Nazis did not stop at harassing Jews, Gypsies, disabled or communists. It is still enough for them, that you are not Nazi enough. Before you call somebody a Nazi, think twice if his behavior is really bigot enough for this attribute.

A proper use of a Nazi-word is for example against many US right-wing conservatives, who already call you unpatriotic, if you are just not patriotic enough in their eyes.

*Legasthenia is often translated incorrectly as dyslexia, but is actually a different more specific disorder(ICD-10: F81.x), that does not exclude that you have been just too lazy to learn the language. (Dyslexia is R48 in ICD-10, and generally nothing you should joke about or what you can easily use as an excuse for you just being lazy to type properly.)

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Knowledge is power until you cannot put that knowledge across in clear English.
I love writing, I love the English language and I love being able to use it properly. It's actually fun to be able to express yourself correctly and accurately.

Would you say the same if people used 'txt maths' - how would anyone ever understand anything and yet it's ok for English? why?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also, remember that language is a training thing. If you don't practice proper writing, you will lose this skill. Which is very sad if you apply for a job and can't write the application properly. You might be the best qualified person on the planet - and still, if you can't write, no HRD-demon will bother about you.

Last edited:

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'll be making a PSA on the difference between "lose" and "loose", too.

Lose: Fail to win, or misplace something.

eg: You lose 96HP and are killed.

Loose: Not attached securely, free to move.

eg: The wheel fell off because it was loose.

People seem to have difficulty with this one too.

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have turned down potential suppliers based strictly on ill-written proposals, so employers of all stripes will judge you on your writing.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Per request, another PSA on the note of "Break" and "Brake";

Brake:(Past tense: Braked) To utilise brakes in order to decelerate.

eg: I am braking my car. I have pressed the brake pedal. I braked for this incident.

Note: "Broke" apparently can substitute for "Braked" in past tense. Therefore "I broke to avoid a collision" would be correct.

Break:(Past tense: Broke) To damage, or destroy, an object (usually inanimate - can also refer to portions of the body, especially bones).

eg: I broke your phone. It is broken. Next I'm going to break your computer.

Note well that "It is broke" is not correct, though it may be common dialect for some. The correct usage is "It is broken".

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Since we're at it. I thought this case should be simple - "there" and "their", and even "they're", but I noticed that some people confuse them too:

There:
–adverb
  1. in or at that place (opposed to here): She is there now.
  2. at that point in an action, speech, etc.: He stopped there for applause.
  3. in that matter, particular, or respect: His anger was justified there.
  4. into or to that place; thither: We went there last year.
  5. (used by way of calling attention to something or someone): There they go.
  6. in or at that place where you are: Well, hi there.
–pronoun
  1. (used to introduce a sentence or clause in which the verb comes before its subject or has no complement): There is no hope.
  2. that place: He comes from there, too.
  3. that point.
–noun
  1. that state or condition: I'll introduce you to her, but you're on your own from there on.
–adjective
  1. (used for emphasis, esp. after a noun modified by a demonstrative adjective): Ask that man there.
–interjection
  1. (used to express satisfaction, relief, encouragement, approval, consolation, etc.): There! It's done.

Origin:
bef. 900; ME (adv.), OE thǣr thēr, c. D daar, OHG dār; akin to Goth, ON thar; cf. that​

—Can be confused: their, there, they're​

Their:
–pronoun
  1. a form of the possessive case of they used as an attributive adjective, before a noun: their home; their rights as citizens; their departure for Rome.
  2. (used after an indefinite singular antecedent in place of the definite masculine form his or the definite feminine form her ): Someone left their book on the table. Did everyone bring their lunch?

Origin:
1150–1200; ME < ON theirra their; r. OE thāra, thǣra; cf. they​

They're:
contraction of they are.

------------------------------
 (source: dictionary.com)
------------------------------

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'll add pore vs pour.

If you're poring over books at the local library, the friendly lady who works there as a librarian will smile approvingly at you for being a studious and hardworking boy while gently stroking her silvery hair.

If you're pouring *anything* over books at the local library, the friendly lady who works there as a librarian will rise up with an unearthly screech, leap on you wielding a mighty double-bladed axe, slice you in half and dye her silvery hair with your blood.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
...the friendly lady who works there as a librarian will rise up with an unearthly screech, leap on you wielding a mighty double-bladed axe, slice you in half and dye her silvery hair with your blood.

:rofl: :rofl: Now that conjures up some mental imagery! :blink:

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Aye, but for us, Pratchett readers, librarians come off a different tree...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Aye, but for us, Pratchett readers, librarians come off a different tree...

Not really. You know that the primary rules for all librarians are the same.

1. Silence
  2. Books must be returned by the last date stamped
  3. Do not interfere with the nature of causality