Question about the UK

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
Because of the very international nature of Orbiter-Forum, I was hoping someone could help me with a quick question.

I know that the United Kingdom consists of four constituent, or component, countries (Northen Ireland, Wales, Scotland, and England). But when looking at the big picture, is it appropriate to consider each of these as an entire conutry in their own right? Let me explain what I am trying to say with an example.

If someone asked you to name every country in Europe, would you include the United Kingdom or would you include each of its constituents instead?

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Because of the very international nature of Orbiter-Forum, I was hoping someone could help me with a quick question.

I know that the United Kingdom consists of four constituent, or component, countries (Northen Ireland, Wales, Scotland, and England). But when looking at the big picture, is it appropriate to consider each of these as an entire conutry in their own right? Let me explain what I am trying to say with an example.

If someone asked you to name every country in Europe, would you include the United Kingdom or would you include each of its constituents instead?

Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England are all countries in their own right.

Chode

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ireland defitnly a country, im from Ireland.

Ireland is definitely a country, but Northern Ireland is in a different category. Some may consider it its own country, but ultimate governance is in the hands of the UK parliament, so that makes it somewhat less of a "country" than Ireland, and could rightly be considered part of the UK rather than an "independent country". If you look at the "countries" represented at the United Nations, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are not among them, they fall under the umbrella of the United Kingdom.

Regards

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Not under international law, however.

This is true. I've always found this quite odd. I remember Wales making a bit of a fuss a few years back as their flag is not reflected in the Union Jack, whereas that is how the United Kingdom is represented in the EU and UN.

bujin

Reaction score

It is appropriate to call the whole thing the UK.

What annoys us Welsh (and presumably the Scots and N. Irish as well) is when the UK is referred to as "England".

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Britain, or Great Britain, is basically the name of the island that England, Scotland and Wales are part of... So anyone from that island, English Scottish or Welsh could be called a 'Brit' as far as I know.

Missioncmdr

Reaction score

What annoys us Welsh (and presumably the Scots and N. Irish as well) is when the UK is referred to as "England".

Thanks for the info.

It does seem like names can be confusing at times (especially to someone who does not live there), but I think I got it mostly figured out. Wikipedia even has an article describing the various names associated with the British Isles (I just hope it is correct!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles_(terminology)

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Us Geordies get slightly annoyed being lumped along with the English, but its better than being Scottish;)

N.