Question about the universe expansion

fantom42

Reaction score
Base:
us in the Milky way
2 galaxy A and B at 100 millions light year in opposite direction, go farther to us at 0.1 % of speed of light
2 galaxy C and D at 1 billions light year in opposite direction, go farther to us at 1 % of speed of light
2 galaxy E and F at 10 billions light year in opposite direction, go farther to us at 10 % of speed of light
and we declare. because of the red shift bigger for E and F than C and D than A and B, the universe is in accelerating expansion!

My problem:
I will agree if the speed of light was infinite, but
E and F are 10 billions year in the past and are more red shifted,
C and D are 1 billions year in the past less red shifted,
A and B are 100 millions year in the past even less red shifted
and for me that mean the universe expansion is slowing, not accelerating!

Where am I wrong ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well - I am likely oversimplifying things a bit but: Lets assume, redshift is proportional to velocity. If a galaxy that is ten times further away has ten times more redshift than another galaxy, the expansion would not accelerate: It must have been the same in the past as it was now, because the older light shows the same redshift/distance ratio.

Would the expansion accelerate, the more distant galaxies show a lower redshift/distance ratio as closer galaxies, because the newer light that arrives at our position shows signs of a faster expansion.

Again, its oversimplified - in reality, the light we observe would have to travel through accelerating or decelerating space, which would mean some sort of exponential relation between observed redshift and distance.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
I will agree if the speed of light was infinite, but
Speed of light can't be infinite, otherwise photons would be unstoppable from the infinite speed*, and thus we could not see any light, which is contrary to the reality.

*If they are stoppable, then it would require an infinite amount of energy to stop them, but the universe has a finite amount of energy to waste, according to the first law of thermodynamics.