Questions on how Earth L11-14 textures were made

Felix24

Reaction score
I have some questions on how the gorgeous Earth091124_11_14 textures were made.

What source did the level 14 textures for Florida come from? Is it possible to download other areas with the same detailed coverage?

What was the source for the land/water mask which includes lakes and rivers?

These are probably questions for martins. I think he made the textures, but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Overlocker

Reaction score
You can download whatever global texture from the world studio of orulex.
There you can use the downloader option of the map for download textures from global lvl 7 to 11 textures, to lvl 22 local textures.

And for the masked textures you must edit the normal textures in .dds format with the dxtex program that came with orbiter, to delete lakes, shores and those things, so orbiter can load good shiny lakes!

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not really sure who made the high res texture maps, but it is possible for anyone to make texture maps up to level 14, assuming they have a decent understanding of textures & orbiters format for them. I believe Orulex 1.2s World studio [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2686"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2686[/ame] can download high res terrain textures for you, but I think they only get applied onto the 3d terrain, and the links may be broken. That is, Ive never been able to get it to work myself ;).

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
And for the masked textures you must edit the normal textures in .dds format with the dxtex program that came with orbiter, to delete lakes, shores and those things, so orbiter can load good shiny lakes!
You can either select all blue color on the texture and make it black, then invert the selection and make the rest white, or search and download land mask texture from Internet, like for example (level 9) public domain land mask texture from that page.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Not really sure who made the high res texture maps, but it is possible for anyone to make texture maps up to level 14, assuming they have a decent understanding of textures & orbiters format for them. I believe Orulex 1.2s World studio http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2686 can download high res terrain textures for you, but I think they only get applied onto the 3d terrain, and the links may be broken. That is, Ive never been able to get it to work myself ;).

You are correct that all the default sources for World Studio are broken, but there's nothing to stop someone finding new sources and adding them into the config files.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You are correct that all the default sources for World Studio are broken, but there's nothing to stop someone finding new sources and adding them into the config files.

Every single one? Damn thats frustrating. Could we possibly try to start a collection of packages that were downloaded before they went down on orbithangar? I would really find that useful:)

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Every single one? Damn thats frustrating. Could we possibly try to start a collection of packages that were downloaded before they went down on orbithangar? I would really find that useful:)

I think your confused, the sources included were databases on the web which each contained satellite and/or aerial photography. They worked a little bit like google maps does, in that the client can use a URL to request specific tiles. All we need to do is find a new source. Hosting old ones would be impractical, entire data sets are on the order of tens of gigabytes, even when zipped.