News Reaction Engines News

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks orb, I hope again this isn't a tech transfer to the US.

Dr. Adam Dissel, President of Reaction Engines Inc., said “I have followed the impressive progress of Reaction Engines and the SABRE engine with great interest for many years, and I am thrilled to now join such a fantastically skilled group of people and work towards future development and partnership opportunities in the US. The SABRE engine class is the most exciting new evolution in propulsion in decades and I am eager to advance the applications where these technologies could result in breakthrough system capabilities in high-speed flight and space access.”

I thought Alan Bond and his team would get the technology working indigenously, seems not, and thats it.

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I thought Alan Bond and his team would get the technology working indigenously, seems not, and thats it.

Well, practically its USA or get into the hands of Airbus. I know what I would choose....

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
[ame="https://twitter.com/ReactionEngines/status/752818316197134336"]Reaction Engines Ltd on Twitter: "We've just signed the final piece of @spacegovuk and @esa grant funding #sabre https://t.co/GdGhMKN25v"[/ame]

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Not just aircraft. A very high-performance heat exchanger will have all kinds of engineering applications, even if the spaceplane concept falls through.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Its been awhile, but this is great news. Especially with the Westcott site's connection to UK rocket engine development.

4 May 2017
Work began today on building the UK’s latest rocket engine test facility, designed for firing the engine core of the ESA-backed SABRE propulsion system within three years.
The Synergistic Air-Breathing Rocket Engine is uniquely designed to scoop up atmospheric air during the early part of its flight to orbit. This slashes the need for the vehicle to carry bulky onboard oxygen for this part of the ascent, before switching to rocket mode drawing on internal propellants for its final climb to space.

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/S.../Test_site_for_ESA-backed_airbreathing_engine

https://www.reactionengines.co.uk/r...-construction-uk-rocket-engine-test-facility/

N.

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can just imagine this thing showing up in a James Bond movie. Maybe a remake of Moonraker.

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting! (We saw some tests a few years ago, but that was just the precooler stage bunged onto a conventional engine intake I think.)

By the way reading the REL page linked above, it mentions missiles. (Hypersonic ones.) Maybe that's why the US military were interested in this a while back.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
BBC did a documentary around history of the project.

Published on 13 Sep 2012
The Three Rocketeers - Alan Bond founder of Reaction Engine Inc talks in bbc 4 documentary on the development and story of their breakthrough liquid hydrogen super cooler.

N.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Last edited: