OHM Realistic background

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: dagoo

This is a new texture for the celestial background on Orbiter 2010 P1.

For the most real settings, put the intensity to 0.05, and for the stars, 1 of magnitude, exponential.

Unzip, and enjoy !

DOWNLOAD

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Cool! A nice, unobtrusive background for those long deep space flights. Also, no reflector-shaped artefacts or satellite streaks. :thumbup:

Keatah

Reaction score
I don't know if I should try it out...

?? Why not ??

---------- Post added at 02:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

This is how a space simulator is done!! at any rate it looks fantastic and moody! very ambient..

Can you be more specific what we set the magnitude at?

Apparent magnitude x.x mapped to max brightness 1
Apparent magnitude x.x mapped to min brightness x.x
And of course you said exponential..

Last edited:

cslevine

Reaction score
Magnifique DagoO :salute:
Très belle contribution réaliste !

si les maps données en exemples sont intéressantes point de vue base de donnée des couleurs de chaque star, et très belles aussi, la tienne est carrément réaliste !
et pour le 0.05 on est total d''accord !

DagoO

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can you be more specific what we set the magnitude at?

Apparent magnitude x.x mapped to max brightness 1
Apparent magnitude x.x mapped to min brightness x.x
And of course you said exponential..

In fact i didn't touch the others settings, but if you want, mines are :

Apparent magnitude 1.0 mapped to max brightness 1
Apparent magnitude 6.5 mapped to min brightness 0.10

Thanks to everyone :tiphat:

othoudt

Reaction score
I installed it and I see no difference. No Milky Way, at least as it appears in the .bmp.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I installed it and I see no difference. No Milky Way, at least as it appears in the .bmp.
Did you pick "Realistic sky" in the Celestial Sphere segment of the Visual Effects tab? Is the intensity set to higher than 0.0?

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
also did you turn on the "background" checkbox?

well thanks! I was immediately put-off by the pack in background, though i felt it was quite "dramatic" not really my cup of tea.

I was hoping for something like this and then BOOM!

This one is exactly what I would imagine a background to look like. The sky is very monochromatic to the human eye.

THANKS!!

DagoO

Addon Developer
Reaction score
This one is exactly what I would imagine a background to look like. The sky is very monochromatic to the human eye.

THANKS!!

That's what I wanted to get, because every backgrounds by Martin are too bright or too colourfull (they are not bad either !).

Thank you anyway :)

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
for all intents and purposes, I'd use DagO's settings. I'd also recommend that you double the intensity of the background, E.G. 0.1

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
That's what I wanted to get, because every backgrounds by Martin are too bright or too colourfull (they are not bad either !).

Thank you anyway :)

True...but they would make excellent screen shots!

Stevodoran

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
no offence but i prefer visible (DSS2/Wikisky) but still this is nice

Wally

Reaction score
Is this background realistic? I mean, this is the way astronauts are actually seeing the sky when looking trough a window?

Thundersnook

Reaction score
Is this background realistic? I mean, this is the way astronauts are actually seeing the sky when looking trough a window?
Well ... I think this could only be answered if a real astronaut reads this thread ;) How should we know how the "sky" looks in Orbit? :( Even photographs couldnt reproduce everything what we can see with our eyes.

DagoO

Addon Developer
Reaction score

Well in fact this is not real. I just saw the sky by a black night, and see how it is. We can see stars, and the milky way, not with her "clouds", but only a lot of stars in it.

So i delet the colours that Martin put in the texture, and i also delet the milky way's clouds (not totally).

I can't say that's 100% realistic, it's only the best result i have done compared to the real sky.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, I think there are accounts that say that for the most part, the stars, when visible, look much more tiny and more point-like in orbit. Also, without the "twinkle" they seem much more still or "silent." Whatever that means. I also read that when on the light side of a planet they are usually not even noticeable because the surface is so bright that the eye adjusts to the extent that the stars disappear. Although just thinking about the eye, you could probably just look away for a spell and start to see them again when all the retinal after images go away.

Well, I don't remember where these things were written, but it's just my vague recollection of astronaut's accounts of their experience. It seems like this is one of the more popular questions for people to ask astronauts.

---------- Post added at 08:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

Well in fact this is not real. I just saw the sky by a black night, and see how it is. We can see stars, and the milky way, not with her "clouds", but only a lot of stars in it.

So i delet the colours that Martin put in the texture, and i also delet the milky way's clouds (not totally).

I can't say that's 100% realistic, it's only the best result i have done compared to the real sky.

out in the high desert or on the ocean, and knowing what they are, I felt that the dust lanes obscuring the milky way were quite clear, IMO

---------- Post added at 08:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 AM ----------

I also imagine that the filters in a space viewing glass probably block quite a bit of light, but i have no real basis for this except that I (perhaps ignorantly) imagine them to be somewhat sunglass-like in function.