OHM Realistic background

Howie

Reaction score
Help with set up of "Realistic Background"

:facepalm:Sorry about a really simple question. I have downloaded "Realistic Background" in same way as previous add ons but have not been able to find the setup dialogue. I would appreciate if someone could point out what I am doing incorrectly. Nothing appears in "modules, visual effects etc".

Would much appreciate any help.

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
What's missing in Orbiter visual parameters is what I'd call "adaptive light sensitivity", meaning that either the human eye or a camera would adjust their exposure time (or for the human eye, it's retinal sensitivity) and aperture. With such a setting, depending on the amount of "ambiant" light in the field of view, the rendering would adapt and therefore render a better impression of what it looks like out there for astronauts, space probes, etc. It could probably be approximated by dynamically playing with the ambiant light level setting, the Solar light intensity and the magniture range of stars.

For example, when the Sun is in the field of view, maximum magnitude of stars displayed would drop to a minimum, or when a planet is in the field of view on and lit by the sun, and then smoothly increase when no light sources are in the field of view. It's implementation would depend if the API supports tweaking the setting while in the simulator, or it could be in Orbiter Visualisation Project...

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
:facepalm:Sorry about a really simple question. I have downloaded "Realistic Background" in same way as previous add ons but have not been able to find the setup dialogue.....
Howie, you have to unzip it in your Orbiter folder, as with any other add-on, then you select it from the "Celestial Sphere" drop-down menu in "Visual effects" tab.
If you don't find this drop-down menu, then you don't have latest (100830) Orbiter version.

You can safely delete (from your Orbiter ROOT folder) the file named "realistic background.bmp", which is only a BMP screenshot.

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
DagoO, with your recommended settings the starfield around the Milky Way appears a bit smudged in that the stars look more like grey blobs than pinpoints, but it really looks more realistic than the 2010 P1 starfield. Thanks! :thumbup::thumbup:

James200809

Reaction score
my comment response too >>>>>>
Did you pick "Realistic sky" in the Celestial Sphere segment of the Visual Effects tab? Is the intensity set to higher than 0.0?>>>>>>>how do i even do this?when i start the launchpad i dont see any visual effects tab please someone help me out it looks like a nice add on but i installed it but nothing is showing during my space flight please contact me by sending me an email its [email protected] plz reply asap

theflyingfish

Falling with Style
Reaction score

Screenshot with O2010's Default backround.

Screenshot with new backround.

Other screenshot with new backround.

All screenshots are with the intensity at 0.30.

Last edited:

DagoO

Addon Developer
Reaction score
The problem of this background is that the stars are bigger than 1 pixel, they look blurry...i'm gonna try to make it better.

XSSA

Reaction score
All i see is a bunch of little puffs and not the beautiful view like in the picture. I checked if i installed it properly and have it set to the correct parameters. I'm in the Alpha Centauri System addon so I think they may not be compatible but im not sure what would cause it. I just tested it in the Sol system and it looked fine so it doesnt work in the Alpha Centauri System addons :(:(:shrug::sos:

----- Post added at 03:46 UTC ----- The previous post wast at 03:36 UTC -----

i also think that it need to have fewer stars visible and the dark patches with more contrast against the lighter areas. More like this and this

Fisherman

Reaction score
I'm getting a runtime error after installing this. Anyone having the same problem? Still getting it after replacing the config and texture files with the originals (un-installing). Well, doggone it!

Fisherman

Reaction score
What runtime error? Can you be more specific?

Here's the error:

Runtime Error!

Program:C:\Orbiter\orbiter.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the spplication's support team for more information.

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Seems it's fixed. I don't know what caused it but I lowered a few numbers in the stars section in Parameters and it's working again. Maybe I'll try the addon again.

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Tried it again and it's working fine. Thanks for the addon.

diffeq

Reaction score
Best I've ever seen. Thank you Dagoo.
Intensity: 0.20
Apparent magnitude: { 1.0, 15.0 }
min. brightness: 0.03
Exponential

Qapla

Reaction score
Best I've ever seen. Thank you Dagoo.
Intensity: 0.20
Apparent magnitude: { 1.0, 15.0 }
min. brightness: 0.03
Exponential

The problem with those settings is you cant make out the constellation stars, try these settings, you should find the constellation stars are brighter and the galaxy appears to have dark dust lanes. Also your settings stole about 6FPS on my modest computer.

Intensity: 0.08
Apparent magnitude: { 1.0, 11.0 }
min. brightness: 0.01
Exponential

Great addon by the way.