Advanced Question rendering mesh to texture?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was just wondering, is it possible to render a mesh to a texture surface from a custom camera angle in orbiter? For my purposes preferably in wireframe...

Bibi Uncle

50% Orbinaut, 50% Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You could do a projection of each vertices on the texture based on the camera angle, and then connect each vertices with the sketchpad. Good luck...

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
CameraMFD had that ability I think. It rendered either normal picture or "Night vision" so probably that may be a clue.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You could do a projection of each vertices on the texture based on the camera angle, and then connect each vertices with the sketchpad. Good luck...

While not being a problem to implement (apart from the huge time effort needed), what you'd be doing is rendering a mesh on the CPU. Good bye framerate... (Sketchpad is somewhat slow as it is).

CameraMFD had that ability I think. It rendered either normal picture or "Night vision" so probably that may be a clue.

I assume the nightvision is just a post-rendering filter, but if it can render to the MFD surface from a custom angle, that's already pretty good. But I just noticed that it doesn't include source code, so it won't help me much. Does anybody know how Vanguard did it?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh well, there goes the idea of rendering a wireframe schematic to the panel in IMS instead of just an icon for every module. Pity.

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
Perhaps you can try using the D3D11 client and maybe there are techniques available on the net for using the directx interface directly?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not really an option. I don't doubt that it would be possible to implement such a function into a graphics client, but that would reduce compatibility considerably. For the other, there's just no time for fancy experiments like that. Too many more important things to be done...

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are plans to implement such a feature in D3D11Client, but I can't tell you much regarding other clients (including stock one)...