General Question Returning from the Moon

samckittrick

Reaction score
Website
www.scottmckittrick.com
Yesterday I finally managed to land safely on the moon. :)
After landing and refueling (I'm using the DG IV-2), I started to go back to earth and promptly realized that I didn't know how. I do have a basic understanding of orbits and how to manuever, however this one has me stumped. I'm sure i'm missing something obvious.

How do I get back to LEO? Can it be done using the default MFD's? or do I need to download an additional one?

Thanks for your help.

Scott

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
transx is included with Orbiter 2010. ;)

jinglesassy

Reaction score
You seem to be everywhere atm xyon and i have been a bit so busy to really play with orbiter 2010 so sorry.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
TransX was also included in 2006-P1. And yes, I'm always everywhere. I'm following you. ;)

othoudt

Reaction score
Go to: http://flytandem.com/orbiter/tutorials/
for a text tutorial. Go to: http://vlc.us.com/best-media-player/vlc-media-player.php?brand=vlc.us.com&s=google&c=vlcuscom_bm2_bingadm_CS_PG_XB_WB_AT_SK&k={keywords}&pk=56-3
for video tutorials. You may need VLC player to view: http://vlc.us.com/best-media-player/vlc-media-player.php?brand=vlc.us.com&s=google&c=vlcuscom_bm2_bingadm_CS_PG_XB_WB_AT_SK&k={keywords}&pk=56-3

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
TransX has been included in the base package since 2005 edition, as it happens. I just looked in the old packages.

Tommy

Reaction score
There's always the low tech method as well. Launch into lunar orbit (any inclination). wait until the earth comes over the horizon, about three of it's diameters above the horizon. Burn prograde until OrbitMFD shows an ecc over 1.0. Wait until you enter the earth's SOI, then burn inward to lower your PeA, or outward to raise it. Crude and inefficient, but you'll get home.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
if you don't see TransX in the MFDs list, check the modules tab on the launchpad... it's not active by default :thumbup:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
another real simple way i developed (it may be some method, but i just figured it out, so i don't know what the name is called)

1.launch easterly and get around the equator of the moon, circularize your orbit.
2. wait until the earth is laterally aligned with your horizon azimuth, 90 degrees.
3. make a prograde "puff" so that your current location becomes your periapsis, but just barely. i mean like... ohh.. say... a difference of 50km. i think of this as a "mark" as in i am marking a spatial location with my apoapsis.
4. at apoapsis, make a large prograde burn and get the biggest eccentricity without breaking the ellipse.
5. this will put your new apoapsis exactly in the direction of the earth, like a spoke between the moon and earth.
6. when you get a good distance from the moon, turn your orbit mfd to have the earth as a reference, then convert your hud to also reference the earth. now burn retrograde with reference to your earth orbit. it should become a very eccentric ellipse.then you can regulate your perigee! and make it very small, this will set you up to go directly back to an orbital height of your choice, or intersect atmosphere, if you want. it works but it's kinda slow. doesn't take much fuel though!