News Richard Truly, shuttle astronaut and NASA administrator, dies at 86

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
news-022924b-lg.jpg

http://www.collectspace.com/news/ne...richard-truly-nasa-adminstrator-obituary.html

Always found the STS-8 onboard launch clip impressive, where he had the sleeves up, ready for business.

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
A guy almost similar to John W. Young I guess. Not the "standard astronaut" one has to google for in the long list. I just read about his death on the NASA website. I saw the name only in the headline and instantly STS went into my mind again, without really having a face in mind, but I knew his name instantly.

I am getting old, although I don't feel like that at all. But you realize it when idols and names you know from your youth are passing away. Damn, all of that is history although it's still in my mind as if it was yesterday and as if the Shuttle's somehow are still flying 👀

barrygolden

Reaction score
A guy almost similar to John W. Young I guess. Not the "standard astronaut" one has to google for in the long list. I just read about his death on the NASA website. I saw the name only in the headline and instantly STS went into my mind again, without really having a face in mind, but I knew his name instantly.

I am getting old, although I don't feel like that at all. But you realize it when idols and names you know from your youth are passing away. Damn, all of that is history although it's still in my mind as if it was yesterday and as if the Shuttle's somehow are still flying 👀
Well said as for old I did watch Al Shepard blast off as a kid followed NASA way back then . Driving into Houston there was an unfinished over pass and back in 1965 the Houston Post had a picture of a Gemini over that structure with downtown in the background and a full Moon overhead it was way cool. As a kid I told Mom I was sick so I could watch the launches but she was having none of it. I looked out of the window of our car to the Moon as we drove to Grandmothers house for Christmas and thought about Apollo 8 out their somewhere. Life went on and had my chance at NASA and was close and was able to meet some of these guys who are passing away now Only four Moon walkers left so see them as soon as you can. I used to be big on the fighter jocks but the other guys have really interested me .

thanks to Orbiter and all you guys I have been able to see and fly some of those unflown missions such as Apollo 18,19, and 20. Skylab extention using Apollo hard ware and unflown Shuttle missions . Much thanks to Gattis I am able to begin to fly the Artemis missions and just completed Artemis 3 . Artemis 4 is on the pad and with a little more fine tuning Artemis 5 will be ready to fly.

In the early eighties when the Shuttle first started to fly NASA had this program it would show from the big screen at MCC called 3D world and from that I found orbiter and have enjoyed this so agin many thanks to all of you guys and keep these American Hero's in your thought and prayers