News Robin Williams dead at 63

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
From Buzz Aldrin, via Facebook:
I regarded Robin Williams as a friend and fellow sufferer. His passing is a great loss. The torment of depression and the complications of addiction that accompany it affect millions, including myself and family members before me - my grandfather committed suicide before I was born and my mother the year before I went to the moon - along with hundreds of veterans who come to a similar fate each year. As individuals and as a nation we need to be compassionate and supportive of all who suffer and give them the resources to face life. ‪#‎RobinWilliams‬ RIP

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Depression if like walking through a dense forest in total darkness.

Its way worse than that. And its a real illness, something that really requires professional aid and often medication. Depression does not simply go away. You can't break out of the depression by your own will. You can make jokes about it, but the depression is there to stay. Some forms of depression can even be genetic.

Since I know what really depressed persons are like, I know that even in my darkest hours, I just had a tiny melancholy - I can kick myself in the butt, and all will get fine. If a depressed person gets a kick in the butt, it is only one pain more.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Tribute by the German news show "Tagesthemen" :

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Cruellest condition in the world, depression. I've seen it with friends and family; so often it'll be the happy, cheerful, outgoing people who get struck with it. May it be the next great disease we conquer. :(

In line with his wife's request: Robin Williams will always be the man violently massaging his face to assist with his voice performance as an Adelie penguin sliding head first down a glacier. Or as a genie high-fiving a magic carpet yelling: "A'right! Gimme some tassel!" Some of my favourite childhood (and let's face it, adulthood too) films there. :cry:

Odahs

Reaction score
I was a fan of Mork and Mindy as a child and an unkind school mate told me he died back then. I actually believed it in the pre-internet days. Later found out it was just a cruel prank. Sad news to hear that he has now moved on. Talented man who brought something special to my life in all the roles he played.