Updates Rosetta Mission News

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have been skeptical about the harpoon stuff all along... :hmm:

Did they fail? I thought they didn't fire. The landing leg deflection was less than expected, so maybe the two mechanical systems weren't initiated. I missed some of the webcast, so I'm not sure about that.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Did they fail? I thought they didn't fire. The landing leg deflection was less than expected, so maybe the two mechanical systems weren't initiated. I missed some of the webcast, so I'm not sure about that.

The impact was at least in the first landing much softer than expected, so it is possible. Also they changed the deployment trigger because of the failed ADS, to only fire the harpoon when two legs signal weight. Maybe one leg absorbed most of the impact energy and the second one was not triggering anymore.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

CONSERT has operated overnight together with Rosetta, mapping the internal structure of the comet, also there had been photographs taken, which very likely will be presented during the media briefing this afternoon (14:00 CET).

Looks like Philae needed three attempts to land. But it did land.

Unstung

Reaction score
Seemingly, NONE of these things happened:

How_Philae_lands_on_the_comet.jpg

Though three (?) failures made up for by three (?) landings isn't too bad. :p
The foot screws still deployed, at least during the first contact with the comet, but they are probably far less effective without the harpoons. Assuming Philae is upright, I speculate that drilling may be too risky without a strong anchor to the ground. At this point I'm hoping for at least some successful contact science to take place in addition to a panorama. Philae's final location will have a significant impact on the quality of CONSERT data to study 67P's interior.

There's only three hours until the next press briefing, but I don't plan on staying up for it.

EDIT: Urwumpe :ninja:'d some of my speculation

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org

So it looks like it's sitting on it's side? If you look at the picture, the left site clearly look like "up" (blackness of space), shown better when you tilt your head. Unless it's a big shadow of other rocks of course.

We're lucky it's still able to send data despite of being tipped over! :) However they don't say at what point in time this image was taken, after final landing, before or during a bounce, who knows?

BTW one single thing I don't like about ESA is the closed nature of publication. Nothing like NASA where raw images appear to be quicker accessible on some server to the public. I'm aware of the fact that at ESA they struggle with the desire to have the exclusive right for doing the first scientific analysis, something that NASA seems to have abandoned. It also seems like PR at ESA has too much power, so they only want the "right" images go public at first. This means it usually takes more processing time than just making all the raw data public.

The closed nature is not only limited to this case, but can also be said to for example the GMES (now called Copernicus) programme which I have been involved with.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It also seems like PR at ESA has too much power, so they only want the "right" images go public at first.

Actually, it is exactly the opposite. Its a science first approach. Like they have done for Mars Express or Venus Express, they feel like it is a better service to the public to not just dump the images at it, but also give it some context about it.

Actually, I like the processed images of Mars Express more than the raw images of MRO.

Unstung

Reaction score
So it looks like it's sitting on it's side? If you look at the picture, the left site clearly look like "up" (blackness of space), shown better when you tilt your head. Unless it's a big shadow of other rocks of course.
Comet photos sure are hard to interpret, but I see what you're describing now. It looks like the landing leg on the left is not in contact with the ground. I'll rotate the image to what I think is upright.

TxCkiQS.jpg

This looks pretty convincing. The science may be very limited, but that's certainly better than nothing.

Keatah

Reaction score
Could there be a hidden advantage to the lander not being secured? If the comet becomes active at some time, mightn't the lander get disturbed and blown away and pushed around to new positions?

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Could there be a hidden advantage to the lander not being secured? If the comet becomes active at some time, mightn't the lander get disturbed and blown away and pushed around to new positions?

With an escape velocity so low, the most likely outcome is a total loss of contact with the comet.

Unstung

Reaction score
Philae's batteries will only last for 65 hours. They can be recharged slowly, but that also depends on where the lander is. There cannot be too much or too little sunlight for extended operations. Philae weighs as much as a few sheets of paper, so it shouldn't be hard to disturb, but the spacecraft will probably be inoperable by then.

Keatah

Reaction score
OK.

I don't think the lander is upright. The CONSERT antenna is in contact with the surface.

Unstung

Reaction score
I don't think the lander is upright.
That seems to be the consensus. Check a few posts back and read this.

---------- Post added at 04:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 AM ----------

From Reddit:

From the list of instruments here and the tweeter of the different teams we know that:

• CiVAS works (pic of the lander foot)
  • CONSERT works (confirmed during descent)
  • COSAC works (confirmed here)
  • Ptolemy (on the side of the lander) ???
  • MUPUS (under the lander) ???
  • ROLIS wokrs (images received)
  • ROMAP works (confirmed the bounces)
  • SD2 is unlikely to work if the lander is not upright and anchored.
  • SESAME (in each of the lander feet) depends how the lander is seating on the ground.

Edit : forgot APXS, the sensor is under the lander but IIRC it doesn't need to be in contact with the ground so wait and see.

Edit 2 : "8 out of 10 instruments sending data .... other 2 need movement & would consume energy, a no-no for now."(source)

Not a bad deal considering what happened.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What is upright on a comet? I am very sure, that the Philae lander is in a mostly upright orientation (maximal 30° from the local vertical).

Also: Pitchblack surfaces on a comet can also be simply shadows. Remember that the comet is darker than coal. unless it is in the bright sunlight, it is black.

Unstung

Reaction score
What is upright on a comet? I am very sure, that the Philae lander is in a mostly upright orientation (maximal 30° from the local vertical).

Also: Pitchblack surfaces on a comet can also be simply shadows. Remember that the comet is darker than coal. unless it is in the bright sunlight, it is black.
I'd say normal to the surface Philae's resting on is upright, and at least one leg appears to be not touching anything.

The exposure for Philae's and Rosetta's cameras do not reflect the albedo of the comet. The cameras expose the images to show detail, therefore the comet would appear to be a neutral gray. It's the same deal with photos of any planetary body.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The exposure for Philae's and Rosetta's cameras do not reflect the albedo of the comet. The cameras expose the images to show detail, therefore the comet would appear to be a neutral gray. It's the same deal with photos of any planetary body.

Have you seen the small black places there in the image? Are those holes in the comet? Sure not.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think those are just shadows.

Of course - and there is no reason (gradient, edges, other surface features) to assume, that the lander is not upright and the large back area is no shadow.

of course it can mean that the third leg is just partially touching some step in a slope. The terrain is very rough.

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
there is no reason (gradient, edges, other surface features) to assume, that the lander is not upright and the large back area is no shadow.

True, but it surely looks like it's tipped over when you see the picture. Also the mission manager has mentioned that it's highly sloped or sitting on a side, given the fact part of the panoramic images where only showing the 'sky'. With some imagination, there is also a shadow of the leg itself visible, which suggest this leg is not on the ground.

Nevertheless, this shadow could just as well be from a rock instead of the leg, and the black part on the left could also simply be larger rock shadow like you said. For now it's just speculation with the little data that is public now. We'll see what the upcoming briefing brings.

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

Another nice one:

JHKzbDk.jpg