Request Runway Landing Tire Smoke

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hi all.

I feel like this would be pretty easy to code...if a vessel touches down at faster than a certain speed, a puff of tire smoke appears. Since I know no C++ whatsoever, does anybody think they'd be able to do it?

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Cool...so it's already been done. How long do you think it would take somebody to implement it for maybe "universal" tire smoke?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
There won't be done a "universal" tire smoke module, at least for all wheeled vessels, or until you can get more information from the vessel class, because (3) touchdown points you can get from a vessel now, don't need to correspond horizontally to positions of tires defined in the mesh, and which part of mesh is a wheel can't be known by external plug-in, if it isn't somehow exported by that vessel.

There is nothing like undercarriage/gear/wheels globally defined in Orbiter, but only in a vessel module. There are only 3 touchdown points somebody can try to do it with, but as I've written it won't be universal this way (but maybe with additional configuration for that tire smoke plug-in for each vessel that should define the smoke).

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I see, thanks for the explanation. So I guess something like computerex's addons, with a .ini file that allows the user to define the touchdown points, wouldn't work? I understand that the wheels don't necessarily correspond to the touchdown points, but why couldn't it be something like as soon as a touchdown point comes into contact with the ground at faster than a threshold speed, a puff of smoke appears at an <x,y,z> location specified by the .ini file?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
{...} but why couldn't it be something like as soon as a touchdown point comes into contact with the ground at faster than a threshold speed, a puff of smoke appears at an <x,y,z> location specified by the .ini file?
I didn't write it couldn't be. Read from the last sentence from my previous post what's in the brackets.