News Russian nuclear submarine in repair dock fire.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Apparently the submarine involved is the K-84 Ekaterinburg, a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_class_submarine"]Delta IV class[/ame] ballistic missile submarine.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Here's a picture of the sub:

Delta+IV+Class+Submarine.jpg

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
The submarine was partly flooded in order to extinguish the fire. No people were harmed, according to the local Emercom. There is no threat of radioactive contamination. The fire began in a heap of garbage in the dry dock. A criminal case is going to be initiated.

A vid of the fire:

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I was thinking they might simply scuttle (or partially scuttle) that boat in order to put out the fire in short order, then pump the water back out.

Looks like you answered my thought, and I'm glad nobody was hurt in all of that! :thumbup:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
doesnt the sub have a fire supression system besides 'holy cow! its on fire!!! flood the ship!'

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yes . . . but it was in port, and largely uncrewed.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would have worse feeling about those submarines in Murmansk, that are NOT burning.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
According to the latest news message, the fire is still not extinguished completely. Six firefighters have been put to hospital due to intoxication from smoke. The fire began on the outer coating of the sumbarine, then, apparently, penetrated thorugh the outer hull.

Experts say the sumbarine might already be damaged beyond possibility of repair.

However, the president isn't happy with what experts say and sent out the newly appointed Deputy Prime Minister for Defence & Nuclear Technology & Space Dmitry Rogozin to Murmansk to assess the situation on site.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
According to the latest news message, the fire is still not extinguished completely. Six firefighters have been put to hospital due to intoxication from smoke. The fire began on the outer coating of the submarine, then, apparently, penetrated thorugh the outer hull.

Surprising that it managed to get into the hull, looks like the cable penetrations into the pressure hull had not been flame proof, which is pretty strange, since such pressure tight cable penetrations are rather robust. But not fire-proofed from outside of course.

Experts say the submarine might already be damaged beyond possibility of repair.

if it burns inside, it could at least be partially damaged...but I doubt beyond repair. Maybe beyond economic repair. It would simply be cheaper to retire it and replace it by a modern boat. Submarines are very tough, especially some Russian ones survived a few bad hits in their careers.

However, the president isn't happy with what experts say and sent out the newly appointed Deputy Prime Minister for Defence & Nuclear Technology & Space Dmitry Rogozin to Murmansk to assess the situation on site.

He should better give him a fire extinguisher and asbestos underwear to be suitable for the job. Otherwise, he is just another finger too much in the gears.