Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
This is like the rover from Armageddon, love at first sight :3

It needs UGCO cargo deck, forward firing and rear minigun turrets, space to space missiles, etc :D

So it eventually looks like this?

Heimdall_ground_monitor_tank.gif

Don't load too much weaponry on it. :lol:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
to be fair, ive never seen a coolhand mesh with weapons, except for this little thing, but it doesnt really count

attachment.php

weapons arent coolhand's style, just cool meshes that make great addons ;D

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
Yes mutch more weapons need the world/universe, i feel alltimes naked in orbiter as an old player of elite/frontier and X2/X3.

MGs for short range, missiles for medium range and lasers for distant range should be a standard config for every ship in orbiter :lol:.

But we have still no dangers in orbiter, but maybe some day they will come.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
ok thanks for the great response this has had. Just to address some 'concerns'

It wasn't built specifically for orbiter as said before, but it has everything thats needed for orbiter. Needless to say, to those who have been paying attention to my previous posts, you wont have missed the shuttle / upper section takeoff engines. or that it has more than old fashioned suspension... this is no junkyard challenge entry. of course if you weren't really paying attention and jumped straight on into full on stating-opinion-as-fact territory then you're bound to miss that.

anyway... is it a 'rover' in the classical nasa sense, no of course not and its plainly obvious that its not. these things (all the seriously considered ones) all tend to be very slow and careful machines with limited power sources. big wheels are great but drain the batteries more and weigh more, good reasons to pick little, lightweight wheels, its one reason why monster trucks burn lots of fuel but dont really go anywhere... but i dont care about that as this is not meant to be powered by conventional batteries or even a petroleum fuelled V8. its also a lander, its also a shuttle craft so if the whole concept of driving on the ground is a bust, there's at least a spaceship from this project... maybe like a larger "shuttle A" type craft with its own unique, extended features.

Is it a monster truck with rocket engines, yeah kinda... and everything including its name takes some inspiration from that. Its an extreme vehicle which should be suited to extreme environments, this is a vehicle to take with you as you boldly explore the galaxy, should it have guns? Maybe you would need them, if only for fighting off fearsome fauna (or flora) or... robots, giant crystalline virusses etc... whatever you might find, we come in peace, (shoot to kill.) never trust a human. ever.

Anyways, in its original form for a more combat oriented game it has an upper turret gun. However for orbiter, as one poster commented, a docking port might be more useful. And thats given me a really sneaky idea that could be used with numerous addons, i might talk about more later on.

It will have a vc, at least i imagine one you can look around in as i'm building a full interior for it, not sure what types of controls should be included, joystick control? a steering wheel? maybe something that will do well for both modes. the 'pit is still basically empty with an empty dashboard so i'm open to suggestions. pilot /driver is seated in the middle, with room for crew stations either side if needed.

Thanks again guys, if anyone wants to help out with the coding side of things, particularly if you have some collide-able terrain in the works, then please let me know, send me a pm about it. I haven't specifically asked anyone yet but its clear there's a demand for something like this, and you never know, this might one day turn out to be an iconic orbiter vehicle like the XR2.

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

oh, and a couple more things i missed, yes i had great fun in the mako, and would like to see similar action in orbiter or other exploration games.

how do you get in and out? well, barring jetpacks or jumping where applicable, i think you would set the rideheight as low as possible and deploy a ladder.

Last edited:

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Steering controls -

That looks futuristic enough and the yoke can easily handle both steering and flight inputs. I'd also imagine that by the time we are well equipped enough technologically to need a flying all environment truck dropping out of capital ships, there would be such things as augmented reality interfaces and MFDs projected right into the driver/pilot's retina.

So a minimalistic uncluttered approach that's rugged and more importantly, easy to code would work well both for the sci fi rugged exterior/advanced automated interface theme, and be easier to work with than say, coding a Space Shuttle Ultra edition.

Modular docking port for external stores would be great, be it sensor packages, UCGO cargo rack, "mining equipment" :D

Wonderer

Reaction score
Why would you need guns when you can crush just about anything with those wheels :lol:

CTC Paradox

Reaction score
to be fair, ive never seen a coolhand mesh with weapons, except for this little thing, but it doesnt really count weapons arent coolhand's style, just cool meshes that make great addons ;D

Well there is this thing from a while back.

5128FACTFILE_foxhound.jpg

The Sasquatch looks amazing. I think you need more people to code, not to play-down Doug's coding but it seems you can pump out amazing meshes faster than they can possibly be coded.

Stevodoran

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Wold you need to use this on places like the moon so you could actually get onto it?

craigh

Reaction score
Yet another super-cool concept!

Since you're looking at ideas and input...Would it be possible to post some images of the lower wheeled section by itself? Maybe lowered so we can see what the ground clearance is like? I'm seeing an awfully difficult ergonomic entrance/egress on that machine (mobility issues while wearing a pressurized suit...put on a wetsuit and heavy snow gear, and loaded backpack then go climb an inverted ladder, it's hard!).

I'm seeing a lot of possibilities with that thing as a modular core for all sorts of equipment like bulldozers, cranes, cargo movement, loaders....automated or with minimal cockpits, the list goes on! Additional bits to flesh out a system, I think a lander was mentioned earlier. That same lander could be used for all sorts of things as well.

For Coders...this opens up a couple new effects possibilities to extend the realism factor! Would it be possible to build in some sort of bouncy suspension effect? It would be cool to see some sort of cam-shake or external bounce as that machine cruises across the surface! How about some new dust effect.

To cool!

Craigh

Ark

Reaction score
If it ever does get made into an operational Orbiter vehicle, it must be capable of being dropped like this:

Ark

Reaction score
Ouch! So much for the crews spines, pelvises, and jellied guts.

Bah, Commander Shepherd is too busy saving the galaxy to worry about puny injuries like that. :lol:

Seriously, though, a rover with retrorockets that could be dropped during a high-velocity flyover would be kickin rad. :cheers:

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Seriously, though, a rover with retrorockets that could be dropped during a high-velocity flyover would be kickin rad. :cheers:

Now there's someone who 'gets' it...:lol::thumbup:

Anyone with addon experience who wants to help make this work or simply experiment, either chassis, spacecraft or both. Just send me a PM:hello: and i'll send you some meshes to play with.:)