General Question Satellites

edjohnbus

Reaction score
What satellites are depolyable with the DGIV2?

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Any satellite. However, you will have to create a payload configuration file. Also, I will take this opportunity to advertise my very own configuration file for the Luna 3 probe.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4679"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4679[/ame]

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Well, if you install the specified add-ons, wide awake comes with many pre-configured scenarios. None of them will work, however, without the add-on. They are under the vertical launch folder, which you probably already saw. :thumbup: other than those, I don't typically launch rockets from wide awake so that's all the help I can give there

edjohnbus

Reaction score
Well, if you install the specified add-ons, wide awake comes with many pre-configured scenarios. None of them will work, however, without the add-on. They are under the vertical launch folder, which you probably already saw. :thumbup: other than those, I don't typically launch rockets from wide awake so that's all the help I can give there

where is a good location for launching rockets? i have a bunch of launch vehicles, did the scenarios, but can't seem to figure out how to put one in a launch facility myself.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Take a look at the scenarios that come with Wideawake. You should see the geographic coordinates for the rockets. Copy and paste those coordinates into the scenario for whatever rocket you want to launch.

Or you can use the scenario editor, and change the base location, then use the radio buttons (the up-down arrow buttons to the right) on the lat-long and move the rocket around to where you want.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
where is a good location for launching rockets? i have a bunch of launch vehicles, did the scenarios, but can't seem to figure out how to put one in a launch facility myself.

I tend to launch most of mine from wideawake. You've also got the real world locations like Kourou, KSC, Baikinour, etc.

A good launch site is any that allows you to put the payload into the correct orbit with the minimum of dV loss.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
yeah wideawake has an empty rocket tower for this purpose built in over by the big VAB-ish building, doesn't it?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
or pad one and pad two as I call them.

ScreenShot281.png

ScreenShot407.png

edjohnbus

Reaction score

ScreenShot281.png

ScreenShot407.png

The problem I am having is the rockets only seem to show up on the scenarios that they come with after downloading from the add on site. they work just fine and no graphics issues on the supplied scenario's, however, if I try to create a scenario and add a new rocket, no image shows, yet the camera will pan as i change the location coordinates.

---------- Post added at 02:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 AM ----------

which rocket is that in the screen shot?

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The problem I am having is the rockets only seem to show up on the scenarios that they come with after downloading from the add on site. they work just fine and no graphics issues on the supplied scenario's, however, if I try to create a scenario and add a new rocket, no image shows, yet the camera will pan as i change the location coordinates.

---------- Post added at 02:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 AM ----------

which rocket is that in the screen shot?
[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6036"]Themis-A[/ame]

edjohnbus

Reaction score
i will experiment with the themis....maybe i will learn something

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Wideawake is not really the best place to launch something...

I mean it is in that it is a great looking base with a wonderful terrain mesh and it is on the equator, not so much if you care about what happens to that terrain after your launch since the pads are put in 'questionable' places. Watch what happens to your SRB exhaust for example if you launch from the smaller launch complex.

The bigger one is sort of good for Shuttle launches, I have used it with SF. Ignore a bit of the clipping and you can use that SC3 access arm to give your passengers a ramp to their ride, as well as a little functionality in terms of water suppression effects. Beware of your launch heading, as the ideal path from Wideawake is south, not north, as it brings you too close to the western shore of Africa. SF's autopilot cannot handle roll programs to certain headings and you will find too much effort is wasted on lining up to the programmed heading and your pitch is short changing leaving you on a trajectory that is sure to result in the loss of your vehicle.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
if I try to create a scenario and add a new rocket, no image shows, yet the camera will pan as i change the location coordinates.

Then you are missing something. Post the affected scenario so we can take a look at it.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
And, what rockets in particular are you trying to use? If you want to launch from WideAwake or Sagan (or actually any other base), we can paste a bit of text here with your rocket for you to copy/paste into your scenario.

edjohnbus

Reaction score
I've been trying the Delta rockets, those are the ones that show no graphics when I try using them in a created scenario. The Themis will display just fine, I need to learn about how to fly it....it goes up about 200k then arcs hard and burns up.
Let me find the information you've asked for and I will get it posted.
You are all amazingly great help.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I've been trying the Delta rockets, those are the ones that show no graphics when I try using them in a created scenario.

Post the scenario file for us.

The Themis will display just fine, I need to learn about how to fly it....it goes up about 200k then arcs hard and burns up.
Let me find the information you've asked for and I will get it posted.
You are all amazingly great help.

Are you using the Themis MFD autopilot? That's worked perfectly for me.

edjohnbus

Reaction score
Ok, here I am trying to set up a DeltaIV.

The first image is the selection of the rocket, the second image a star represents approximately where the camera says the object is, but there is no object there just in front of my DGIV.

selectingrocket.jpg

shouldbeatstar.jpg

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I'm confused - you named the vessel 'delta311' but there isn't a delta311 listed.

When you hit F9 do you get a yellow square with delta311 hovering in mid air?

Also, why haven't you posted the scenario like I asked?

edjohnbus

Reaction score
I'm confused - you named the vessel 'delta311' but there isn't a delta311 listed.

When you hit F9 do you get a yellow square with delta311 hovering in mid air?

Also, why haven't you posted the scenario like I asked?

the selected item is the Delta 311. sorry, let me grab the scenario.