Problem SC3/ShipEdit

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
I'm in the process of making my first add-on, and i'm following ar81's (i think) tutorial on using spacecraft3 and mesh wizard. In one of the steps, i need to use Shipedit, which came with the orbiter sdk. In his tutorial, he got all the numbers. But when i do it, my center of mass is -1.#J, along will all my intertial tensors. Plus, my volume is 0.00. Is that something that is wrong with my mesh, or what else is it?

Thank you,
~Kaito

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I'd guess it is your mesh. From 3DModel.pdf:
The tool requires “well behaved” meshes (composed of closed compact surfaces) and assumes a homogeneous density distribution inside the mesh.
You can either make your mesh closed, or estimate the centre of mass and moments of inertia yourself. shipedit is only meant as a guide and its results can be fairly unrealistic (depending on the nature of the ship you are modelling).

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
I'm in the process of making my first add-on, and i'm following ar81's (i think) tutorial on using spacecraft3 and mesh wizard. In one of the steps, i need to use Shipedit, which came with the orbiter sdk. In his tutorial, he got all the numbers. But when i do it, my center of mass is -1.#J, along will all my intertial tensors. Plus, my volume is 0.00. Is that something that is wrong with my mesh, or what else is it?

Thank you,
~Kaito

Yeah,I run at same problem few times...leave orginal mesh intacted for orbiter but same mesh copy and run conversion to obj than to 3DS and again to mesh and all become fine...than I could use shipedit...