Scott Manley (finally) plays Orbiter !

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi !
You might know Scott Manley, the "guru" from KSP with its thousand technicals tutorials for Kerbal Space Program. He finally recorded a video with our PROBE (c) product: Orbiter !

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrnp-y8mnFg"]Scott Plays Orbiter - Launching A Space Shuttle Without Reading The Manual - YouTube[/ame]

That's not bad for a "first" attempt ...

A question come to my mind: will this make some good publicity for Orbiter ?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Why would it make good publicity for Orbiter? I don't know the guy at all. :shrug:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Now get him on the forum...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Why would it make good publicity for Orbiter? I don't know the guy at all. :shrug:

Same here... If Buzz Aldrin would play Orbiter in his limited free time, I would be impressed. :lol:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Same here... If Buzz Aldrin would play Orbiter in his limited free time, I would be impressed. :lol:

Surely he'd play BARIS :lol:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Me neither.
What makes him so special that he has "guru" status in KSP? Please keep in mind that not everyone on O-F is also a KSP fan.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
If Buzz Aldrin would play Orbiter in his limited free time, I would be impressed. :lol:
Well, when I saw the title I thought there is a typo and there meant to be "Kelly" instead of "Manley". :p

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not sure that Orbiter needs "publicity" from KSP. I play KSP and I love it, but it is quite different from Orbiter. While I'm a living counter-exemple, I think that both programs target slightly different audiences. Orbiter people are definitively more "hardcore" fan sims, and also people that are passionate about real space programs and search to model them, I think. KSP is closer from what is usually called a "videogame", I'd say.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes, both games overlap in quite a few points, but then, there are many differences. KSP doesn't really embrace realism, but prefers to tweak it for being playable. In Orbiter, we tweak the meaning of the adjective "playable" towards realism. :lol:

It is nice to be visited back by the KSP community, since Orbiter players also visit KSP a lot.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I liked KSP initially, but some of the people over at their forum really turned me off. So much that my interest dropped off to nil. It's cute and all, and kind of neat, but I'll stick with Orbiter.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure that Orbiter needs "publicity" from KSP.
The intention of creating KSP was actually to get publicity into Orbiter. From a thread before first release of KSP:
It's not meant to compete with Orbiter, though... It should be a new take on space flight games, and hopefully also be a stepping stone for the uninitiated for getting into Orbiter :)

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Looks kind of fake on Orbiter forum. The motivation may be exactly the other way around.
Not that I have anything against the author nor the KSP, as I like having a healthy competition, but let's just not be naive.

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'd like to say again that I haven't bought KSP, but I've seen this guy's videos, and he makes some pretty good tutorials and informative videos for it.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

Looks kind of fake on Orbiter forum. The motivation may be exactly the other way around.
Not that I have anything against the author nor the KSP, as I like having a healthy competition, but let's just not be naive.
KSP is not meant to compete with Orbiter.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I liked KSP initially, but some of the people over at their forum really turned me off. So much that my interest dropped off to nil. It's cute and all, and kind of neat, but I'll stick with Orbiter.

Gotta agree with you there. I completely lost interest in KSP last month after managing a minmus landing in a rocket that wasnt even designed properly (second stage was bigger than the first one). Even with the parts scaled down, getting around the KSP system is way too easy right now.

Me neither.
What makes him so special that he has "guru" status in KSP? Please keep in mind that not everyone on O-F is also a KSP fan.

Have you seen any of his videos? His stuff on KSP was terrific learning material. If he feels up to the challenge he could make 2 or 3 of the best videos ever done on Orbiter.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
As a kerbalnaut who's on hiatus, I can tell you that KSP and Orbiter have very different styles of play that compliment each other. KSP is an excellent training environment for manually flying rockets, performing rendevous, docking, performing manuevers between planets, etc. It's an easy to use, and highly rewarding (and addicting :p) sandbox. Orbiter is more challenging, but people who get to be really good in KSP would have verly little issue transferring. The big change: Stuff won't blow up when it hits the ground :lol:.

Keatah

Reaction score
My next door neighbor is playing orbiter.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
KSP is not meant to compete with Orbiter.
They're both about spaceflight and you can play only one of these at the time, unless somebody writes KSP MFD, but from the author's perspective it still doesn't matter once you've bought KSP, and the more publicity there is about it in other places (good OR bad) the better!

Last edited:

Alfastar

да
Reaction score
Well, now we all got overwork on O-F to answer the questions of KSP players who go join Orbiter now :shifty:

I never really liked the unrealistic what Scott mostly do, but its nice that he tried at least Orbiter with using the Space Shuttle. Very good first attempt.

I see not any thing by the KSP developers that there will compete it to Orbiter, but by most KSP people, Orbiter is a bit taboo, or even there will to match it with KSP, what really fails already if someone says that.

Off-topic maybe, but be a realist in KSP (Yes, there exist *Looks to himself* ) is not really what most KSP players likes, sadly. There like big, no matter of it can or cant. So, me advise to most of us is to just play Orbiter, and enjoy how yourself land a DG-IV on wideawake :)

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Have you seen any of his videos? His stuff on KSP was terrific learning material. If he feels up to the challenge he could make 2 or 3 of the best videos ever done on Orbiter.

Obviously I have not, otherwise I wouldn't wonder. I've seen some KSP material on YT showcasing the weapons functionality (and it was of so-so quality IMHO), but I don't remember the name of the author.

That said, if he makes good tutorial (or promotional) videos, it would certainly be a win for the community to have him doing Orbiter stuff. Let's wait and see...

regards,
Face

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, now we all got overwork on O-F to answer the questions of KSP players who go join Orbiter now :shifty:

I never really liked the unrealistic what Scott mostly do, but its nice that he tried at least Orbiter with using the Space Shuttle. Very good first attempt.

I see not any thing by the KSP developers that there will compete it to Orbiter, but by most KSP people, Orbiter is a bit taboo, or even there will to match it with KSP, what really fails already if someone says that.

Off-topic maybe, but be a realist in KSP (Yes, there exist *Looks to himself* ) is not really what most KSP players likes, sadly. There like big, no matter of it can or cant. So, me advise to most of us is to just play Orbiter, and enjoy how yourself land a DG-IV on wideawake :)

:blink: Please slow down, I didn't understand almost any of that.

I dont think Orbiter is taboo there, it just rarely gets mentioned, save when a newbie says "hey what if KSP was adapted to be real!"

Obviously I have not, otherwise I wouldn't wonder. I've seen some KSP material on YT showcasing the weapons functionality (and it was of so-so quality IMHO), but I don't remember the name of the author.

That said, if he makes good tutorial (or promotional) videos, it would certainly be a win for the community to have him doing Orbiter stuff. Let's wait and see...

regards,
Face

Yeah, a lot of KSP videos are usually just nonsense, but his stuff was quite impressive. Back when 0.15 was out he basically "beat the game" by landing on minmus with 9 parts in his rocket (Thats a micro launcher by KSP standards). His understanding of orbital mechanics seems to be outstanding, & he communicates it very well to most audiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.