Project Shuttle-A Mk.IX

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
Ive finished it! \o/
Well, not really, but close enough. Now I can call the mesh and textures completed. Now Ill throw myself against the wall thats c++ repeteadly, until I manage to get this mesh working with animations hopefully. Here are some screenshots of how it looks now:

orbiter 2022-09-12 18-54-16.pngorbiter 2022-09-12 19-04-10.png
orbiter 2022-09-12 19-05-28.pngorbiter 2022-09-12 18-55-19.pngorbiter 2022-09-12 19-06-34.png

Also, progress will be slower as Ive started on anew job and my free time has decreased dramatically. And maybe Ill make a pause on this project and make some scenery assets, since they dont require as much coding
untitled.png
(Render of what MAY become a new landing pad for my base if I continue with this one)

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
That looks amazing. Love it.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also, progress will be slower as Ive started on anew job and my free time has decreased dramatically.
It's the same everywhere... If I may give you a tip in that regard: Release what you can! If you have something and it's running, don't hesitate to pack it into a first release, especially if you think you're going to have to take a break.

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
It's the same everywhere... If I may give you a tip in that regard: Release what you can! If you have something and it's running, don't hesitate to pack it into a first release, especially if you think you're going to have to take a break.
The thing is it isnt working yet. Animations have to be recoded, rcs and docking ports coordinates corrected. And also the internal vs is all wrong now that it doesnt correspond with the external model. If someone wants to help, I wouldnt mind turning this into an open source mod. But I dont want to release an unfinished project as is

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
One of the great things about putting something up on GitHub (or equivalent) is that you can still be the primary developer, but getting help on little things is way easier than dropboxing files to each other.

I'd be happy to help with some little things here and there.

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
One of the great things about putting something up on GitHub (or equivalent) is that you can still be the primary developer, but getting help on little things is way easier than dropboxing files to each other.

I'd be happy to help with some little things here and there.
Great! Im going to upload it to github then when I learn how to do it properly hah. Will post here once the upload is complete

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
I finally got around to uploading the files to github
Heres the repository: https://github.com/OvalDreamX/ShaIX
Im still kinda new to github, so forgive any mistakes I have made there. Also, some of the source files weight almst 500mb, kinda over the 25mb limit github imposes on uploading files. Ill try and see if I can upload them via console with git directly
So what you can help with?
Mainly adjusting shuttle a code to animate and recognize the new mesh groups

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
I wanted to clarify a bit the extent of my end on this project. I have very little programming knowledge and very little time and patience left for learning (finals are approaching...). So, now that phase 1 is complete, Ill start on modelling the cockpit in a modular way, and also maybe doing the switches and screens as separate assets so other moders can use them.
But of course all this work will be good for my portfolio but meaningless for the Orbiter community if it isnt integrated in the code. So, if youre willing to do the code part and integrate all this onto Orbiter, tell me here please.

Im figuring this like a community project, like some planes are being upgraded in msfs (fbw a320, communit vl3, etc). So its pretty open on its scope and Ill be in no way the "owner" or whatever of the project. Im just the guy that'll try to work on the visuals.
Hope someone want to come along

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It looks like somewhere between 2001 a Space Odyssey and Battlestar Galactica ! Awesome !

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this new Shuttle-A beautiful mesh and textures OvalDreamX! She looks fantastic!
I went ahead and adapted the original code for the new mesh. From a quick test I run, everything seems to be working ok. [animations, thrusters, 2d panel and VC (original mesh)].
Trimmed the mesh size a bit (~50%). Your texturing is so good that you can barely tell the difference from the 11.5MB mesh down to 5.8MB. (This probably needs to get even lower).
Also chopped up a few groups (left/right landing legs), in order to get the animations working and added a bit of thickness to the front docking port doors.

When you find the time, can you please also texture the dock airlock and interior of the docking port doors?
Also the payload containers need a bit of rework, because they clip into the Shuttle mesh.

Anyway, I've packed everything and attached it here, source code included. It doesn't replace the original Shuttle-A, simply creates a new one named ShuttleA_Mk_IX.

If you are interested in making a couple of variants that can carry XR containers (20ft and 40ft standard shipping containers), I'd gladly help in adapting the code for those too.
Also looking forward to seeing a new VC for this vessel.

Cheers!

Attachments

• ShuttleA_Mk_IX.zip
    17.7 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
Thank you so much for this new Shuttle-A beautiful mesh and textures OvalDreamX! She looks fantastic!
I went ahead and adopted the original code for the new mesh. From a quick test I run, everything seems to be working ok. [animations, thrusters, 2d panel and VC (original mesh)].
Trimmed the mesh size a bit (~50%). Your texturing is so good that you can barely tell the difference from the 11.5MB mesh down to 5.8MB. (This probably needs to get even lower).
Also chopped up a few groups (left/right landing legs), in order to get the animations working and added a bit of thickness to the front docking port doors.

When you find the time, can you please also texture the dock airlock and interior of the docking port doors?
Also the payload containers need a bit of rework, because they clip into the Shuttle mesh.

Anyway, I've packed everything and attached it here, source code included. It doesn't replace the original Shuttle-A, simply creates a new one named ShuttleA_Mk_IX.

If you are interested in making a couple of variants that can carry XR containers (20ft and 40ft standard shipping containers), I'd gladly help in adopting the code for those too.
Also looking forward to seeing a new VC for this vessel.

Cheers!
Wow! I didnt think anyone would actually use this! Thanks a lot!!
Ill work on those changes after Im done with finals then. The thing with the docking port its that I would have to add those to a different mesh I think as the original Uvs are already packed, and changing it would seriously mess up the texture work.
And yeah, the cargo containers where kinda done quickly and cheaply. But I checked the meshes on blender and they didnt clip. Ill check again
After that Ill move the struts to accomodate xr containers, I have the meshes for those so it should be fairly easy.

And now that I see that someone can handle all the complicated codey side of things, Ill start thinking on modelling a proper vc. I was thinking mostly screens so you dont have to code as many switches? Whatever design makes it easier later down the road.

Again, thanks a lot

Edit: Just tried it and you even did the animation I originally had in mind when I thought I could do the coding. Awesome!

Last edited:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Wow! I didnt think anyone would actually use this! Thanks a lot!!

No problem! Thank YOU for your great work on the mesh and textures, I love it.

The thing with the docking port its that I would have to add those to a different mesh I think as the original Uvs are already packed, and changing it would seriously mess up the texture work.

The airlock itself and the area behind the docking port doors doesn't seem to be textured at all. No need for a different (additional) mesh, just separate the area that needs texturing into different groups (objects) and add an additional texture (1024x1024 at most).

And yeah, the cargo containers where kinda done quickly and cheaply. But I checked the meshes on blender and they didnt clip. Ill check again
After that Ill move the struts to accomodate xr containers, I have the meshes for those so it should be fairly easy.

Excellent! I am thinking of two versions, a "normal" one that can take 12 20ft containers (6x2 arranged either vertically or horizontaly) and a "heavy" that can take 6 40ft containers. I'll post some drafts of how I imagine them to be here and we can take it from there.

And now that I see that someone can handle all the complicated codey side of things, Ill start thinking on modelling a proper vc. I was thinking mostly screens so you dont have to code as many switches? Whatever design makes it easier later down the road.

Let's keep it simple for start and have the same "features" as the original (same number of throttles, buttons, MFDs, etc). This way the conversion can be done with minimal changes. Once that's working, we can see about adding one or two more MFDs and the ADI which is missing from the original VC. Perhaps even a dedicated comms panel with knobs to set the frequencies. But that's down the line.

Edit: Just tried it and you even did the animation I originally had in mind when I thought I could do the coding. Awesome!
:)

Ill work on those changes after Im done with finals then.

No worries mate, whenever you have the time. Best of luck with your finals!

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
1666206967152.png

Playing around with the container cargo configuration. Here it can load 8 x 40ft or 16 x 20ft containers. Having a dedicated crane for each one seems like overkill.
Also, with this much weight, I think that it needs two sets of auxiliary pods. One in the back and one front.
The cargo capacity needs to increase. I'd prefer it could unload an XR5 in 1 or 2 trips. Back to the drawing board.

1666208775000.png
EDIT: Somehow I thought this would look cool... Turned out complete garbage... I'll try a more conventional "stacking on a platform" configuration next. I have settled that I want it to be able to load 18 x 20ft = 9 40ft containers, unloading an XR5 in 2 trips.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
View attachment 30793

Playing around with the container cargo configuration. Here it can load 8 x 40ft or 16 x 20ft containers. Having a dedicated crane for each one seems like overkill.
Also, with this much weight, I think that it needs two sets of auxiliary pods. One in the back and one front.
The cargo capacity needs to increase. I'd prefer it could unload an XR5 in 1 or 2 trips. Back to the drawing board.

View attachment 30795
EDIT: Somehow I thought this would look cool... Turned out complete garbage...

It is a bit... unusual 🙂

Interceptor

Reaction score
View attachment 30793

View attachment 30795
EDIT: Somehow I thought this would look cool... Turned out complete garbage... I'll try a more conventional "stacking on a platform" configuration next. I have settled that I want it to be able to load 18 x 20ft = 9 40ft containers, unloading an XR5 in 2 trips.
How about one crane that slides across the top?

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
How about one crane that slides across the top?
I think I want to abandon the crane idea altogether. The ShuttleA can "squat" by raising its landing gear, so it can drop the cargo this way.
After messing around a bit more, I think we have a winner, as far as the design and cargo configuration goes:

1666245037304.png

Removed the lower support section under the cargo and added another pair of auxiliary pods to handle the weight
Turned the cargo containers horizontally. They are held in place by electromagnets and when the landing gear is raised they can almost touch the ground, so no further unloading gear is necessary.

1666245107875.png

Anyway, these are just a few drafts to give some ideas to OvalDreamX.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
That looks more like a shuttle-a Mk.X now...
Mk.IX = The "standard" Shuttle-A upgrade. Can carry 6 custom Shuttle-A cargo pods .
Mk.X = Similar cargo configuration to Mk.IX but can carry 6 x 20ft containers.
Mk.XI = The one in post #58.

Anyway, OvalDreamX is much better at meshing and texturing than me, I am just throwing around some configuration ideas. It's up to him to decide if he wants to take them up or not.