Request Shuttle lander from movie Avatar

Artymaster

Reaction score
Has anyone thought of making an orbiter craft of the landing shuttle from the movie Avatar, it would be cool to have for trips with deep space craft such as the long shot [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4642"]Long Shot v0.0.3[/ame]

here is a link to a picture of the shuttle directly from the movie:

http://www.feoamante.com/Movies/A/Avatar/Avatarshuttle.jpg

If anyone could consider taking the time to make this, it would be greatly appreciated by me, thanks in advance.
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png

Not to sure if i should have posted a new topic for this or it would be double posting or whatever, but does anyone know where i can find any older versions of the XR series of ships?

Last edited:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
oh yeah!

that thing is SO awesome! - i thought of orbiter the minute i first saw it... :hmm:

Artymaster

Reaction score
Thank you for offering to do the mesh. This is more of a suggestion, as i have nothing to contribute because i can not code, write .config files or model right now.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
yes, it looks like the DG-XR6 should be like :)

Sadly with a lot of fairy dust...i mean, unobtainium.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sadly with a lot of fairy dust...i mean, unobtainium.

I don't know... some of the aspects of the shuttles might not make sense (the sharp angles, high wing), and others are a tad farfetched (the thing has VTOL capability and can use the engines for lift for long periods) but considering how thought out the ISV was, I'd like very much to see what background there is, if any, behind the Valkyrie shuttles.

It might help a bit though, that Pandora has a surface gravity of 0.8 G, atmospheric pressure of 1.2 Earth atmospheres and a atmospheric density of 1.4 Earth atmospheres (apparently due to gases like Xenon and CO2, which is partially why people are seen wearing those silly masks).

The ISV Venture Star qualifies as sheer awesome though, IMO...

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I'm trying to turn the .skp file i found on Google 3d warehouse into a working Orbiter mesh.

I believe that "arthur-----a,s" (the modeler) has given permission to use it in a reply to Craigh's email: "sure u can use it can you please send me some images when its done id-like to see it"
aurthurs92@....

I need some help though, from an addon developer that can take this mesh and turn it into a working add-on (The best i "think" i can do is a Spacecraft3 ship with only the gear going up and down and (perhaps) tilting of the wing engines).

I'm trying to cut-down on the 490 groups that the mesh has to somewhere like 24 or 32. I'll keep the six engines into different groups and also the "three" landing gears (front, left and right) into another 3 separate groups.
Cockpit - glasses - engine intakes - backdoor and the body will also be seperately defined groups.

What else do i need to do?

The ship doesn't have a docking port so that has to be put in there, right?

I've also kept the cockpit in a whole different mesh, if someone wants to make a VC.

Unfortunately my limited skills can only take me this far...
But i think i'm pretty good at following instructions! :)

I really like the Avatar Shuttle and it would be just great if i could do my (little) part in turning this into a working Orbiter addon.

P.S. I wouldn't know how to texture it, even if my life depended on it! :lol:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The mass and density of Pandora must also be taken into account. Rocket Calc Online gives a velocity of 8134.7 m/s and a duration of 77.5 minutes for a 300km altitude orbit around Pandora (with radius 5723.5km, density of 5483.56 mg/cm3), vs a velocity of 7725.8 m/s and a duration of 90.5 minutes for a 300km altitude orbit around Earth.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think the shuttle had a docking port at the bottom of them, at least it looked like that in the beginning of the movie, when the Shuttle undocks from the large spacecraft.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That is odd... it is clear in this image that the docking port is on the dorsal side:

Perhaps the shuttle was doing some sort of roll manouver.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
it is clear in this image that the docking port is on the dorsal side

Oh yes, i know that from the movie, it's just that arthur92's model didn't have one. I guess i'll have to "borrow" a docking port (with permission of course).

James200809

Reaction score
please upload to orbiter hanger when finished:)the mothership at the beginning when it just arrives at Pandora would be nice too & what software would i use to create add ons can someone email me links to the software i need my email is [email protected]

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
please upload to orbiter hanger when finished:)the mothership at the beginning when it just arrives at Pandora would be nice too & what software would i use to create add ons can someone email me links to the software i need my email is [email protected]
It's a sticky in the Orbiter SDK forum:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=715

---------- Post added at 00:51 ---------- Previous post was at 00:42 ----------

Also, did you ever hear back from Michio Kaku about how to receive messages from your future self? And how's that video editing company going?

(What I mean to say, is: handing out your e-mail address in a public place isn't the best idea).

craigh

Reaction score
All,

You may also take a look at this thread:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=15308
Addon Requests: ISV Venture Star (Avatar)

The Sketch-up model was located back then (as was the partial Venture Star (ish) ship.

I got a blanket approval from the Shuttle modeler for the folks in the orbiter community to mess with his model.

I started playing with it, primarily to alter it to look a bit closer and proportion better to the movie imagery using Sketchup. Modified a scenario and Spacecraft 3 config. I've not touched any animations yet or done any mods to the config.

Ran into a big problem with the mesh. I've faces showing up off the craft in Orbiter that need to be resolved. They don't show up in Sketchup. So I'm going import the unmodified model into Orbiter and see if I or the modeler created those artifacts. If I did, maybe start over, maybe wait for someone who's a better modeler to do the work.

I'll be happy to scan images from a couple Avatar books for other modelers or share images I've located online.

CraigH

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
According to Pandorapedia, the Valkyrie uses a combination of turbojet, scramjet and fusion propulsion to get to orbit, and it uses power from the fusion reactor to achieve the ability of hovering for many hours straight...