Question sketchup scaling is wrong

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
as ive just recently discovered, when importing models into google sketchup, they are scaled, which makes modelling useless as they are completely wrong, and for unified measurement systems like UGCO, i cant make efficient models (in my current template, it makes the model smaller by factor 4, but not exactly)

does anyone know how to set up the scaling so that it is coherent with other models? (ie i can use the scaling in sketchup rather than having to cross reference edges from other models (very time consuming)

thanks
-=Grover=-

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I find AC3D the best for keeping scale with Orbiter meshes.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
you mean use another program to convert it to AC3D format then import it to sketchup?

sorry if thats a bunch of rubbish, ive never heard of that extention/program/whatever it is :S

thanks though :D
-=Grover=-

craigh

Reaction score
Grover,

I seem to have that problem too.

I primarily operate in AutoCAD using real world 1:1 dimensions. Everything that I import from Sketch-up is waaaaayyy to small.

Ditto on files I've experimented with when I've tried converting to the orbiter mesh format.

CraigH

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
so i guess the problem lies in sketchup. i find the template affects the scaling, engineering gives the est results: ALMOST exactly 0.25 scaling, good enough to work with for vessels, but not for unified measurements like in UGCO, where exact measurements are needed.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
no scaling options in the export menu. also, that scaling requires you to know your exact scaling factor thats already been applied, and since its probably an irrational figure, its pretty hopeless, AND i dont knoe how i can work out an exact scaling.

the problem is in the importing/exporting, but there is no option to select the scaling :hmm:

this is gonna be a pain