Updates SLS Updates

barrygolden

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info so the ESM has 1//3 the power but can burn almost twice as long as the SPS. I wonder how much total burn time it has .

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Ok thanks for the info so the ESM has 1//3 the power but can burn almost twice as long as the SPS. I wonder how much total burn time it has .
When that engine was installed in the Space Shuttle, the maximum continuous firing time was 1250 seconds, or just over 20 minutes. In that time it would consume 24150lbs of prop, or almost 11 tons.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Fresh from today:
52530824883_792749ffe3_o_d.jpg

52529813962_1e14afc3da_o_d.jpg

52530824918_f0176fe079_o_d.jpg

And from the previous "eclipse":
(turn the volume down and go full screen)
https://flic.kr/p/2o24AfU https://flic.kr/p/2o274sE

steph

Reaction score
I think I'm wrong somewhere, but wouldn't Hohmann transfer time be 4 days max? How are they making the trip in 6?

diogom

Reaction score
Sorry for the slight off topic, and if it's been mentioned elsewhere:

Do we know what these are? Guessing not thrusters.

1670454072297.png

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sorry for the slight off topic, and if it's been mentioned elsewhere:

Do we know what these are? Guessing not thrusters.

Should be thrusters.

EDIT: Or the launch latches for the solar arrays, if you do a morphological analysis and look for a similar features on the ATV.

View_of_ATV-2_-_cropped_and_rotated.jpg

Last edited:

diogom

Reaction score
Should be thrusters.

EDIT: Or the launch latches for the solar arrays, if you do a morphological analysis and look for a similar features on the ATV.
Thanks, latches do make sense. Had noticed very similar components on Soyuz and filed it away for later worrying, but there they also line up with where the folded arrays would be.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thanks, latches do make sense. Had noticed very similar components on Soyuz and filed it away for later worrying, but there they also line up with where the folded arrays would be.

Yeah, I first thought its thrusters, because it had two lines going into it from opposite directions, but this seems to be just for igniting the pyrotechnics there. Also the scale did not fit well to thrusters, even vernier thrusters should have been larger.

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
It's actually amazing how perfect the mission was and is progressing. And it's a more complex mission profile in terms of orbital mechanics than Apollo was. Plus there was a gap of 5 decades inbetween with a different generation of engineers involved. I have no doubt that we will see a nice entry and slpashdown as well. That mission probably could have been manned without any issues I guess.

AFAIK Apollo was just lucky due to its shortness and low number of flights. Although 13 was a very close call and 1 a complete disaster. But I think Artemis is partly built upon those experiences, including STS. Orion and SLS might become the safest manned NASA system (but also less complex than the Shuttle's Orbiter). Having ESA involved is great as well.

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Also the scale did not fit well to thrusters, even vernier thrusters should have been larger.
That was exactly my first thought when I reviewed the picture.

I'm afraid how less we know about the system yet :LOL: Btw, are there any advanced manuals yet?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire