So what's new...

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:hesaid:

That's the page I used to successfully complete my first ISS docking.

Oh, the memories :hailprobe:

malisle

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Also check D3D9 thread - it makes Orbiter look gorgeous, just trust me and install it!
Orbiter Screenshot Thread is always a good place to see what Orbinauts are up to next, or in your case, were up to :lol:
Another good place to see what's going on with Orbiter is Orbiter dynamics news thread, mostly martins showing us what he plans to add in the future releases.
Orbithangar most downloaded section shows you what's hot in the modding department.

Enjoy :cheers:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Make sure the scenario editor is enabled (click the checkbox in the Modules tab for ScnEditor)

Then, after the scenario is loaded, press F4->Custom->Scenario Editor

Or another option, press CTRL+F4, then double-click Scenario Editor.

Slaintemaith

Old Timer
Reaction score
Using [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4142"]this[/ame] to re-certify myself with IMFD.

---------- Post added 12-14-13 at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-13-13 at 02:41 PM ----------

...currently marvelling at the amazingly -tiny- SOI of Europa...

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Using this to re-certify myself with IMFD.

---------- Post added 12-14-13 at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-13-13 at 02:41 PM ----------

...currently marvelling at the amazingly -tiny- SOI of Europa...

Sweet! Send us a Postcard!

(ie, post something to the screenshot thread ;))

I imagine the difference between Orbiter 2010 and whatever you last played must be huge. The program has improved immensely since the early days.

Something cool you might like to try If you go a bit lower in your orbit:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2686"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2686[/ame]

and the best collisions module if you have UMMU installed:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4433"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4433[/ame]

It wont be compatible with D3D9, but still worth the inconvenience in my opinion.

:hailprobe:

Slaintemaith

Old Timer
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! Collision detection was something Orbiter always sorely lacked--although Martin had valid reasons for -not- incorporating it.

I think I'll give them a miss for now, however, as I have problems enough landing on -flat- surfaces.

Actually, my current headache is making the journey from Earth to Europa and landing there--but doing it in such a way with the Arrow Freighter that I still have enough fuel to get back.

In -theory- I could "cheat" and put an orbital base somewhere in the Jovian system...

But where's the fun in that?

Is there something equivalent to the "Kethane" mod for Kerbal Space Program? Seems there should/might be with the Cargos and modular Insta-Bases, where, if parked within a certain range of a base (which has the appropriate drilling, refining, and storage facilities) that you might be able to refuel at a base?

This might already exist, and I'm only missing it. (I have tried refueling at my new Europa base, but it says there's no fuel in range.)

P.S. The "Kethane" mod for Kerbal is really quite fascinating: All planets have a hex-grid which may or may not contain "Kethane," a resource one can (with some refining) convert to fuel. You equip a ship with a device that "Scans" the surface of the planet below (any planet below) to see if the hex directly under the ship contains the substance. (I'm assuming it's random, although there do seem to be "veins") Then you can land a ship on the surface and drill for Kethane. You can make bases that process it, haulers that take it to and fro orbit, or make an everything-in-one-ship that scans, drills, processes, and uses the fuel to get from place to place.

Seems like this would be the next logical step for UCGO.

Last edited:

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, you can refuel from bases/vessels, you just need to add the appropriate lines to their configuration files.

Look at orbiter-root/Doc/UniversalCarsAndCargos/bin/UCGO_STATION_SDK_DOC.pdf
for more information about that!

At the moment, it just provides as much as a resource as requested, so it is not nearly as complex as Kethane, but still works for refueling.

Slaintemaith

Old Timer
Reaction score
I looked at /Orbiter/Doc/UniversalCarsAndCargos/bin/UCGO_STATION_SDK_DOC.pdf

I must say it's a bit too....cryptic for me to comprehend.