Solar Balloon

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
So years ago at a local store, I bought a solar balloon, it was essentially an elongated garbage bag. I tried to fly it one day over summer, which didn't go to well. I searched online for instructions on them, and got this website: http://www.solar-balloons.com/

I went to the store and got some garbage bags and built a 5 foot tetroon from the site. It flew about 30 feet for 2 seconds, and fell due to the weight of the bags, and it didn't help that it was 80 degrees (F) that day.

Last night, I ordered a pack of 250 bags, which are the right thickness, so I hope to get one flying by next weekend.

I'll post a video when it's airborne.

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
>250 bags.
Sounds really, really, awesome.

Can't wait to see the video!

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Balloon status: Completed.

The bags just came today. I decided to name it "Falcon," after balloon boy XD

Hopefully I'll have my first successful test flight tomorrow afternoon, once I get home from school.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Just got back from the field, it didn't fly today. Just too windy. I'm not sure how well the balloon will fly tomorrow, it's supposed to be the same. I'll make some more, and a tube shape one. I'm gonna email the guy who made that website.

So I'm off to make several balloons. Good thing I bought a pack of 250

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
What do you intend to do with a solar balloon anyway?
Do you plan on taking photos?
Do you just want to launch them for fun?
Why do you want to launch them?

Darren

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Too many why's Pyro. Flight is fun.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Too many why's Pyro. Flight is fun.
I was just asking, I agree if I had trash bags lying around I'd make some.
I'm not saying this is pointless I'm just asking what he wants to do with his.

Darren

PS: Well that's what I was trying to ask, but I extended it out a bit.:facepalm:

Edit: You consider one "why" to be too many?

Last edited:

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
What do you intend to do with a solar balloon anyway?
Do you plan on taking photos?
Do you just want to launch them for fun?
Why do you want to launch them?

Darren
Taking photos/videos, launching them to see where they land, carrying gliders/parachutes to heights, all kinds of things.

I just did a few tests with a hair dryer instead of air mattress pump. I had to stop because my mom is worried that I'll burn out her hair dryer. But, when I filled the tube, nothing really happened. However, the "tetroon" went straight up. I had to pull it off of my roof several times. I've also learned if there's even the slightest breeze, these things just don't fly. Unfortunately, for the next week the winds are supposed to be around 9 knots. That's Chicago for you.

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

I just tried to fly, again. It ended with my tube getting stuck in a tree and damaged beyond repair. I tried to make another, smaller one, but it just failed. I better stick to tetroons.

Speaking of tetroons, I flew Falcon a little, that thing can REALLY take a beating. It got stuck in a tree and punctured, but was repaired. It also had a tether snap.

I didn't really get any real flight today, though. Gah, when will this wind calm down?