Songs to listen to while flying

FuzzyLogic

Reaction score
I cycle my orbiter playlists quite often, depending on both mood and mission. This is a small sample of my 'basic' playlist.

Flotando sobre Loscos - Los Planetas
I could have chosen pretty much any song by French shoegazers M83, but this one is 1 minute 57 seconds of pure epic.

Utopia Planitia (Approaching Pavonis Mons by balloon) - The Flaming Lips
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is one of my favourite records by The Flaming Lips. At first I was tempted to add 'In the morning of the magicians', but finally went for this instrumental. Slightly less moody than the other tunes in the playlist.

Higher than the stars - The Pains of Being Pure at Heart (St. Etienne Remix)
While I normally ignore remixes (most of the bands I like don't get remixed anyways), this housey remix by british indiepop veterans Saint Etienne of a tune by my personal faves TPOBPAH inmediately made me think of Orbiter.

Merchants, looters and ghosts - Jon Hallur (EVE online soundtrack)
I played EVE Online for about six months, until I realized I was spending most of my time watching the stunning visuals, flying freelance cargo runs for various corps, trying out different ships and weapons and generally neglecting the competitive aspect of the game. I've downloaded my beloved Rifter frigate for Orbiter so I can fly around without having to worry about 13 year old kids on Caldari battleships playing space pirate.

Birds over barges - ISAN
Not very spacey, but fits the mood somehow. Again, has the perfect pace for interplanetary flights... I've set my sight on the outer planets lately :)

Gulls galore - Console
German ambient not unlike Boards of Canada or Aphex Twin. This particular song reminds me of driving at night.

The Virgin of Venus - Le Syndicat Electronique
Halfway between Kraftwerk and italodisco, a lighthearted electro tune made before said genre started becoming popular with your average disco-going crowds. Ideal for watching your ship from outside after a sucessful docking manoeuvre!.

Keatah

Reaction score
well i dont like classical music , but pop or rock dont fit to orbiter
I recoment Adagio for strings by S,barber , fits well
I am looking a good smooth electronic track
I have one its super ,i use it a lot, but dont know the title :(

You got that straight bro!! rock is based on addiction-causing repetitive beats, nothing to do with orbiter. really. not only that, rock music's pulse beating rhythms make people stupid.

Look at some jonn serrie stuff.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It all lacks the right stuff... unlike this one:

Which is also a pretty good track for traversing space. Just not recommended for those, who have a weak heart or are actually able to understand French.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Really. not only that, rock music's pulse beating rhythms make people stupid.

Ahem...I have grown up on rock, live rock, breathe rock - and that already for almost two decades. Do you want to say that I am stupid, or on the way towards it?

:facts:

Also, most electronic stuff is trivial waste of time, after you have heard Chris Hülsbeck or Deine Lakaien in your short life.

FuzzyLogic

Reaction score
Heh, don't get me started on the rock-makes-you-stupid part. But I concur, rock and pop (mostly) don't fit Orbiter. The sim begs for classical or ambient.

That said, I often play upbeat, silly space-themed rock tunes when the situation requires it: Mostly, those reckless, highly experimental "anything goes" flights that usually end in flaming UMmu death, like my ongoing experiments with the Shuttle.

Nothing better than lifting off to the twangy guitars of Revillos or The Phenomenauts when you're just minutes away from a forceful deorbit and a ditch in the Atlantic Ocean!

Btw, Knorkator rings a bell. I'm almost 90% sure I've heard them before. Can't tell you for sure now, I'm browsing from my laptop on a cafeteria-suddenly-turned-kindergarten. Not the perfect place to appreciate music :p

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Heh, don't get me started on the rock-makes-you-stupid part. But I concur, rock and pop (mostly) don't fit Orbiter. The sim begs for classical or ambient.

Well, I say, it is a matter of your listening habits and what emotions you relate to the music. You are right, too aggressive music wouldn't bring it, because orbiter isn't aggressive. But orbiter is also not something for unstructured pace-free electronic supermarket or elevator music. Orbiter flows. And so has to be the music - in my feeling. And there many rock tracks, that have just this flow. You could erase all drumming from them, reduce them to a bare-boned riff, and you would still feel its flow. Just take Motorheads "Joy of Labor" as example, which is IMHO a great track in Orbiter.

Also, I doubt any classical track would fit into Orbiter. Nothing against the Ode to Joy, Beethovens ninth symphony is a masterpiece. But its pacing is not flowing well with Orbiter. The Vltava on the other hand feels so organic, that you could think it was written for spaceflight. Or the Habanera, which is practically not fitting to Orbiter, but has still the passages that are epic enough to make it suitable anyway...

FuzzyLogic

Reaction score
Listening to Knorkator right now, Urwumpe. I was wrong, had never listened to them before, though I'm loving the organ riffs on the chorus of 'Franz Hose' (I'm not a francophone, for good or bad ;)) and 'Miss Marples' has really surprised me. I'll go give 'em a listen at Spotify.

As for the adequacy of certain styles of music to Orbiter, you nailed it, sire. It's not a matter od styles and labels but one of 'feeling' or, as you called it, pacing, with a strong emotional component. Habanera may fit Orbiter where Toreador, also from Carmen, might sound a bit too strident, but again it depends mostly of what you're doing and how you like your Orbiter. Toreador may be too fast for those two or three or ten orbits you spend waiting for a launch window to Mars, but sounds perfect for an exhilarating Saturn V launch.

Jim Henson seemed to have a liking for Bizet, btw :lol:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG-0_p_yefg"]YouTube - Sesame Street - orange sings Carmen[/ame]

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
LOL, yeah... but whatever you choose for music, one composition is always and automatically no-go for any launch in Orbiter: HWV 351. It is not a good omen.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Why does it remind me on this?

Much better space tune anyway. The sound track of a long Soyuz coding session...those were the days my friend.

FuzzyLogic

Reaction score
HWV 351. It is not a good omen.

:lol: Händel's music for the Royal Fireworks... tomorrow night I'm launching the Energia (Kulch's amazing ENERGY project) from Baikonour. I already know it's bound to end in tragedy so I MUST be playing that one. Oh, the irony!

@JonnyBGoode, I see your bet and raise it!

Sad to say the "probe" pictured in the video is most likely a heretic misrepresentation of His Image, blessed be His antennae :probe:

The sound track of a long Soyuz coding session...

Planning more work on the Soyuz?

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score

Ahem...I have grown up on rock, live rock, breathe rock - and that already for almost two decades. Do you want to say that I am stupid, or on the way towards it?

:facts:

Also, most electronic stuff is trivial waste of time, after you have heard Chris Hülsbeck or Deine Lakaien in your short life.

Not quite that way, but imagine how much MORE smarter you can be (or get) once you stop that incessant beating going on in your head!! Its amazing how many folks don't know how smart or stupid they are. They just think they are as they are.

Short life ?!!? I bet I'm old enough to be your ol'gramps!

Chris Hülsbeck is good. Also check out Sleep City Metalworkers. A similar style.

But in the end, nothing fits orbiter like ambient style!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not quite that way, but imagine how much MORE smarter you can be (or get) once you stop that incessant beating going on in your head!! Its amazing how many folks don't know how smart or stupid they are. They just think they are as they are.

My grades at school had been much worse when I listened to techno... around the time when U-96 was top of the german charts... you know, before the war. AC/DC and Scorpions saved my life... I actually learned coding properly while listening to Highway to Hell....

Short life ?!!? I bet I'm old enough to be your ol'gramps!

You mean dead? That is real necroposting! :shifty:

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
I've noticed that many of the songs from Ace Combat's generic "Mission 1: shoot down some bombers heading for our last airbase" seem like they would go with a Shuttle or Saturn V launch pretty well.
(listen to them all the way through, and you can tell which parts would be preflight and which parts would be the actual launch)
Ace Combat 5's version of the mission, on the other hand, seems like it would fit reentry and landing more.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Right now I only have Air on a G String and Space Oddity. I'm going to add Blue Danube (mostly for docking sequences), Also Sprach Zarathustra, and some stuff from the Apollo 13 soundtrack. Classical stuff seems best fitting for space in my opinion.