Discussion Space: 1999 updates ?

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
There are several nice Space: 1999 addons that have been released over time.

With the advent of Orbiter advances like Orulex with real Moon topography, I'm feeling like it might be time to update them a little.

For now, I'm thing about some high resolution repaints, moving Moonbase Alpha to Malpert crater (to match the show visual effects with a low Earth visible) and perhaps creating a separate solar system config with the Moon in an escape orbit (for Breakaway)...

I'd like to know if there's some interest in this and if someone is willing to mess deeper with meshes, animations, spacecraft configs, etc.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Dude, it wouldn't be Moonbase Alpha if you moved it out of Plato crater... But, another base with similar construction would be totally cool. The Alpha designation alway led me to believe there should be a Moonbase Bravo as well.
See if you can hook up with Gattispilot, his work on Marsbase Alpha makes it one of those "gotta have" add-ons.

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Regarding Alpha's location, it supposed to be Plato yes, BUT to be consistent with the visuals shown on the series, it can't be.

Please see http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/main/cguide/umext.html for a detailed analyzes of the possible locations.
The main issue is that the crater shown on screen is much smaller than Plato and the Earth is visible near the horizon on the pilot episode :) !

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hollywood man, Hollywood, quite possibly one of the most inconsistant places in the known galaxy, above and beyond any nations Capitol here on Earth... How many things regarding the space program/science fiction have they ever gotten right? Or even close to right? Plus you gotta remember that the moon was blown out of it's orbit by an explosion Breakaway, so some beret wearing, hippie writer guy can explain away why the Earth isn't where it's supposed to be.

Honestly I'm too young to remember much of Space 1999. There's a used bookstore here that has the whole series on DVD for $100. If I were single I'd grab it, but I don't want to explain to the wife wht I shelled out that much money for cheesy '70's sci-fi (But some of the chicks in mini-skirts might be worth another look-see).

The bottom line is though, if you make it... I will probably download it..
There are plenty of fantastic looking bases that have been made for Orbiter, but given the tech-level we're in now (and looking perhaps 40-50 years ahead), the Space 1999 add-ons seem to be fairly attainable, if you overlook the absolute fantasy of some of it (what's up with armed Eagles? Why laser tanks? etc...)
The re-entry glider (looks do-able). The Eagles, again somewhat practical looking, with modular configuration depending on mission requirements, so do-able. The moonbase itself, kinda large above ground structure (IRL it'd probably be mostly underground), but still, meh, perhaps do-able.

I myself can't wait to see what you come up with. And I hope to be one of the first to download it, seriously nice work on the Project Gemini textures. :thumbup:

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Glad you like the Gemini stuff. A lot of time went into that it was worth it!

For Space 1999 I'm messing around with the Eagles and it is promising.
Look here for some screenshots:http://orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com/

As for reality X fantasy, I consider the visual aspects more important that storyline, form the simulation point of view.
I'd like to see Alpha surrounded by a crater rim, really close by, with the Earth low in the sky. That's how I imagine it!
But I have no problem in trying to have the moon at a different orbit (although completely inconsistent with physics) so that it moves away from Earth. Don't know if it is doable, but certainly fun to simulate and apropriate for the series!

dougkeenan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
The moonbase itself, kinda large above ground structure (IRL it'd probably be mostly underground), but still, meh, perhaps do-able.

I understand most of Alpha is underground. The Catacombs have some cross-sections that show sub-surface levels. And of course the eagle hangars must be below the elevator-supported launch pads.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Alpha was inspired by Clavius Base from 2001, which had that great scene of the landing pad elevator descending and a great view of how deep it was, with people looking out windows into the hangar area. Can you imagine how expensive it would be to build such a structure!

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Without a doubt, to look at both of them from a bird-eye view (Eagle-eye view?), it's very apparent that they are close cousins. MBA and Clavius that is...

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I've played around with the Eagles and had a hand in the Marsbase Alpha project and as far as the Eagles go, I can point out one factor you're really going to have trouble with.

In order to mesh in a detailed cockpit module that looks and opperates the way they did on the TV show, you will consistantly run into the fact that the interior layout suffers from the TARDIS effect.

Basicly, you'll have to build an Eagle frame from scratch ( keeping proportions in mind as you do ) in order for the cockpit insides to be able to fit inside the module and look right.

Gattispilot has done some outstanding work on the 1999 Eagles and spent quite a lot of time and brain power getting it right. Anyone who takes up an Eagle build should look at his work closely to get an idea of just how detailed you can be with working interiors.:thumbup:

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

Without a doubt, to look at both of them from a bird-eye view (Eagle-eye view?), it's very apparent that they are close cousins. MBA and Clavius that is...

Marsbase Alpha was based on Moonbase Alpha. The idea was " What if the BreakAway never happend ?" We thought it was only logical that the next step would be building a base on Mars. We used Moonbase Alpha as a template for technological reasons but have since increased it's versatility to reflect its existance on a world with a thin atmosphere.

I've got an idea to build a similar type of base inside Mt Pico but I want to finish my current work with the Star Trek Refits series before getting involved in such a demanding project as another complex surface base.
:cheers:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
"suffers from the TARDIS effect"

Yes, I'm aware of that. In this case separate meshes would the key. I'm messing around with repainting the Eagle meshes based on the original model photos. It works and the meshes themselves are really good and accurate.

After that, I don't know if I'll do something more. Perhaps some sounds, perhaps a try at the interiors...

There are some moon locations present on the series absent from Orbiter, like the research station in the vicinity of Alpha. That might also be a nice addition.

On the general, I think that a nice "World of 1999" could be put together, recreating that universe before the Moon's "Breakaway".

dougkeenan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
After that, I don't know if I'll do something more. Perhaps some sounds, perhaps a try at the interiors...

There are some moon locations present on the series absent from Orbiter, like the research station in the vicinity of Alpha. That might also be a nice addition.

On the general, I think that a nice "World of 1999" could be put together, recreating that universe before the Moon's "Breakaway".

We could stuff a main mission mesh inside the main tower, so you could hover an eagle around and look inside.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Yes, Main Mission can be done... It would be fun to remote control the Eagle from witing Main Mission, using the big screen :). The only problem is modeling the people there. There's not much point in having it unless Sandra, Paul, Kano, etc, are in there :p.

What other interiors might be interesting ?
I'd say the Eagle cockpit ("Tardis effect" or realistic), and the launch pad interiors. There were also some nice cockpits on other spacecraft...

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The 'Hanger has an "Eaglet"... [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3566"]Eaglet[/ame]
(the VC is pretty cool).
I'd love to assist, but my modelling/texturing skills are still way down in the Noob stages. But I'm getting better...

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Yes, the Eaglet is really fun. The VC is cool, but I'd like something closer to the series style (really retro).

On my end, I'm repainting the Eagle like this:
091213194352eagletwo.jpg

And I'd go with something like this for a very simple VC:
091213194540eagletwo.jpg

The Eagle repaint is something that I might release in the near future as it is close to completion. I'm also messing with the landing pad.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You know, for a show with such dumb science, it really did have the coolest-looking space vehicles.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
I think it's the Apollo like RCS thrusters and engine bells that make the Eagles realistic. The cockpit is also not that different from the early shuttle studies.
Disregarding the nonsense about lasers, force fields and being capable of reentry, the Eagle does make sense in a moon like environment.
More than say, Galactica's Vipers :p.

dougkeenan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I think it's the Apollo like RCS thrusters and engine bells that make the Eagles realistic. The cockpit is also not that different from the early shuttle studies.
Disregarding the nonsense about lasers, force fields and being capable of reentry, the Eagle does make sense in a moon like environment.
More than say, Galactica's Vipers :p.

Right. You can tell an orbinaut didn't design the Eagle though, there's no RCS to translate side-to-side.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Cool. Your new repaints look very nice. Also I like the idea of replacing moonbase alpha. Keep up the good work.