Space Engine – Free Universe Simulator

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
2 GHz processor? Man, I must upgrade my PC. :(

Anyway, it wouldn't be the first time a game with 2 GHz minimum worked, so I am still downloading.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
If I create an affinity to all 4 of my cores for this program, it will have access to the equivalent of 4x2.4GHz = 9.6GHz of processing power!

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
my oh my! quite impressive :)
has artlav seen this? ;) (obvious "can we plug it to orbiter" insinuation somewhat intended)

still flabbergasted.. the universe is so huge - and that thing does such a phenomenal job in showing it :blink: -- man... Will Wright can chew on THAT! :p

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
its soo intensive it even has difficultiys on my comuter if i decide to go sit in the middle of the small mega-watsit cloud! my comp specs:
CPU: 4x2.4GHz
RAM:2Gb@(can't remember clock speed of my ram, but its Black Dragon gaming RAM, so its prob. pretty fast.)
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3800

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Seen it, we even exchanged code and ideas.
It's quite a nice thing, only somewhat resource-hungry. Basically, Celestia on steroids.

Also, free is misleading - the sources are not released and not planned to.

Columbia42

Reaction score
It's quite a nice thing, only somewhat resource-hungry. Basically, Celestia on steroids.

I would categorize it more as a combination of Celestia and Spaceway.

It runs fairly well for me and I have 2x2.8 ghz processor, 2Mb ram (can't remember the speed) and ATI Radeon 5570.

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

Although it's probably not possible to plug it into Orbiter (especially since it's closed source) I think it has a few interesting features. I particularly like the rendering of stars when you're on a planet's surface (sort of lens flare-ish) or orbiting a planet. I also like the procedurally generated cloud layers (would make a nice Orulex feature!)

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Doesn't work for me. It gives a "SpaceEngine.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." error.

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
The same for me, looks like OpenGL is too old (should be 3.2 or higher). It annoys me, because there are no working drivers for my card supporting OpenGL higher than 2.1 :/

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If I create an affinity to all 4 of my cores for this program, it will have access to the equivalent of 4x2.4GHz = 9.6GHz of processing power!
Yeah no, that's not how that works. Sorry.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If the tachometer in your car reads 2000 RPM, multiplied by four wheels do you now have 8000 RPM? ;)

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Also, free is misleading - the sources are not released and not planned to.

Free has a double meaning. If you don't have to buy it, it is in fact free. It's just not free enough for Richard Stallman.

rodion_herrera

Moonwatcher
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
astronomicalsolutions.com
Thanks for the link. As someone who every once and a while participates in public activities that involve public understanding and appreciation of astronomy (in a volunteer capacity), here's one more tool to add to the belt :) Great find.

-RODION

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
Thanks, it's a great alternative to Universe sandbox - they both have advantages and disadvantages.

theflyingfish

Falling with Style
Reaction score
Just one quick screenshot...

Sorry...

Next time I'll remember to turn on fullscreen before I take the screen shot. :facepalm:

theflyingfish

Falling with Style
Reaction score
Which planet in which system is that?

To tell you the truth... I have no idea.

It is just some random planet SpaceEngine started me off in.

If you look at the bottom left, where it says "Sync Rotation RS #####...", the ### should be the name of the planet, star, or moon the sim is focused on, but it is not familiar to me at all.