Space Shuttle Ultra 1.25 Revision B development

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes, would be possible to add in the mission file, can be addressed with the rest of the configuration change stuff.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Just an VAB update: The xfer aisle crane is nearly done. Just need to texture it and ad the crane wires extending from the two hoist drums.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Latest VAB screenshots. The VAB exterior is now what is was in 1980, at the time of OV-102's rollout for STS-1.

Attachments

• VAB_interior_structure_9.jpg
    VAB_interior_structure_9.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 430
  • VAB_interior_structure_10.jpg
    VAB_interior_structure_10.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 407

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Looks very tight Dave ! :thumbup:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Looks very tight Dave ! :thumbup:
Thanks. I'm doing the hoist cable wires now, then I'll add the remaining hand rails and close out work. Best thing is that once the crane is complete, I'll be able to reuse it for the 250 ton cranes as they're mostly just wider with more "V" sections. The maximum capacity of the xfer aisle crane is 175 ton.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thanks. I'm doing the hoist cable wires now, then I'll add the remaining hand rails and close out work. Best thing is that once the crane is complete, I'll be able to reuse it for the 250 ton cranes as they're mostly just wider with more "V" sections. The maximum capacity of the xfer aisle crane is 175 ton.

I'll keep that in mind if I ever get around to make a payload for the side-mount. ;)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'll keep that in mind if I ever get around to make a payload for the side-mount. ;)
Actually in 1996 a set of new overhead cranes were installed in the VAB that has maximum capacity of 325 tonnes. They're the ones they use as the primary cranes today.

Here's a shot of the old and new cranes: http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/images/large/05pd2045.jpg

The solid beam crane that is lifting the orbiter is the new 325 ton crane for HB3/4. The one in the background with the "V" sections is the original 250 ton crane.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
OK... so many options... :lol:

Do you know if there are offices in the VAB? or better, whose office is responsible for the execution of the stacking operations in the VAB?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
OK... so many options... :lol:

Do you know if there are offices in the VAB? or better, whose office is responsible for the execution of the stacking operations in the VAB?
There are offices in the VAB, that's what the 4 cooling towers on the south side is for. The main bays are ventilated by opening the actual high bay doors.

Some actual S0004 stories I have found on usenet:

STS-108: http://groups.google.se/group/sci.s...827ca3367b1487?hl=sv&q=S0004#c4827ca3367b1487

STS-106: http://groups.google.se/group/sci.space.shuttle/msg/a0249ee9d3c1ea5c?hl=sv&dmode=source

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
There are offices in the VAB, that's what the 4 cooling towers on the south side is for. The main bays are ventilated by opening the actual high bay doors.

I thought the large ones are for the air conditioning inside, since you can get even mild clean room conditions without.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
After doing some extensive research, I have found out that the xfer aisle crane has two(!) hooks. One large that is capable of 175 ton lifts and a small one which I don't know the capacity of. But is really small compared to the main 175 hook. I always wondered what the smaller hoist drum in this photo is for: http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/images/large/2009-5344.jpg

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Just did a very successful opening/closing test of the new SSU Vertical Assembly Building High Bay 1 vertical lift doors! Looked very nice despite the animation isn't entirely accurate yet!

Everything is looking very good so far!

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here's an early screenshot of the VAB in Orbiter.

Attachments

• SSU_VAB.jpg
    SSU_VAB.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 441

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I can almost say I've been there. :)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I can almost say I've been there. :)
If you want to help out, you can make the integration cell(that's High Bays 1 and 3, don't worry they're carbon copies of each other) extensible platforms while I struggle with the interior structure.

If we help each other out this thing will be ready in no time!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Tell me when you need code work.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm kinda busy with the HLV right now.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Tell me when you need code work.
I think I'll have the structure done sometime either tomorrow or Monday. After that, I just need to work on the High Bay cranes and finalize the textures for the horizontal doors. I think I also might do one final tweak to the concrete floor texture prior to checking everything in.

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

BTW, do we have attachment points on the MLP for the SSME and SRB Engine Service Platforms(ESPs)?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

BTW, do we have attachment points on the MLP for the SSME and SRB Engine Service Platforms(ESPs)?

No yet. Can be done quickly, if you don't need to mess with them a lot.