Space Shuttle Ultra 1.25 Revision B development

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How soon can the VAB be up and running? Just want know in what sort of time-frame the ET and orbiter sling sets need to be completed in.

Soon: I could make a basic vessel without any animations or special features this evening.

Realistically: Next weekend with some animations, I have an exam this Friday and notice that I need more time for learning. A good implementation of the cranes could maybe even take some days more.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Soon: I could make a basic vessel without any animations or special features this evening.

Realistically: Next weekend with some animations, I have an exam this Friday and notice that I need more time for learning. A good implementation of the cranes could maybe even take some days more.
OK. I still need a few days more on the orbiter sling as it's a few elements of the aft section of the fixed sling that is causing some issues.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
OK. I still need a few days more on the orbiter sling as it's a few elements of the aft section of the fixed sling that is causing some issues.

OK. If I remember correctly, the slings also need some animation to behave properly.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
OK. If I remember correctly, the slings also need some animation to behave properly.
My main problem right now is whether or not the beam in the rectangle on the attached HD video screenshot is a rotating beam or not.

Attachments

• Orbiter sling.jpg
    Orbiter sling.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 400

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Looks very rotating to me. Especially since it is parallel to the weight vector in the still image.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Looks very rotating to me. Especially since it is parallel to the weight vector in the still image.
That is what it looks to me to. The main beam structure is an I-beam and the beam is essentially flat when the sling is vertical and points along the sling's longitudinal axis when the sling is horizontal.

I guess I needed a second input just to be sure. So how do you want to handle animations like this?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I guess I needed a second input just to be sure. So how do you want to handle animations like this?

Good question, next question. Since we have two cranes working on that, if I see the photographs right, things could get a bit complicated. I'll think about a good solution, ideally something that is not limited to this single place.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Good question, next question. Since we have two cranes working on that, if I see the photographs right, things could get a bit complicated. I'll think about a good solution, ideally something that is not limited to this single place.
Yes. For the element rotations, they employ the use of the 175 ton crane that pushes the aft half of the element while also lowering/raising it to keep the aft from scraping against the ground.

I'll think about a good solution, ideally something that is not limited to this single place.
That could be good as that will buy us SLC-6 where the two cranes aren't even in the same building/structure!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes. For the element rotations, they employ the use of the 175 ton crane that pushes the aft half of the element while also lowering/raising it to keep the aft from scraping against the ground.

Yes, exactly.

That could be good as that will buy us SLC-6 where the two cranes aren't even in the same building/structure!

And it would also buy us flexibility in the VAB - for example for other stacking operations, like the side-mount.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I guess I should release the side-mount, so people can play around with it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I guess I should release the side-mount, so people can play around with it.

If you feel it is ready for release...HELL YEAH! Its about time. :thumbup:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It's limited by being a multistage rocket, and if you need something more to make it compatable with SSU, let me know.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's limited by being a multistage rocket, and if you need something more to make it compatable with SSU, let me know.

I have some presentation for the SSU forum in preparation, about what I think would be a meaningful "long distance" goal of the SSU project and how to work towards it.

Just some planning how to integrate "non-STS" projects (like also the Ares I-X, etc.) into the project and how to prevent chronic featuritis.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have now confirmed that the beam is a rotational beam, not a fixed beam.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Side-mount SDHLV beta2 now up at OH.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I started working on the VAB.dll today. Will also pay attention that we can change visual depending on current era.

Some big picture development questions:

How does the dev team think about kicking the staging code out of SSU, replace it by using attachments?

Next: What about at this point remove the subsystem code from the "Atlantis" project and compile this code subsystem-wise into static libraries (.lib) for having a better project structure? Like using "ultra_gnc.lib" for the GNC components. By this, we could also make the main vessel class more compact by moving more stuff away from it and reduce the dependencies on it.

I think about having the subsystems more and more separated from the "Atlantis" code, until we can use them reliable for other vehicles. I have some early notes done for the changes towards it, but these need some more thinking now that I have more time for it. Such a "Ultra.lib" project would then also allow including such features like radio communication, TACAN and MLS by a single central DLL(maybe as Orbiter-plugin for allowing enabling/disabling of such advanced features).

I'll make a special post about the large scale plan as soon as I have confidence in it and finished some drawings, but these two things above are what I am already sure to make sense.

Points that are still not comfortable for me are:
- Additional levels of hierarchy for subsystems, like grouping them by Module/Assembly, so complete groups of subsystems can be removed/added at once.
- Changes to the scenario file format for having a standard parser for the subsystem/VC data, that does not rely on a fixed vessel structure.
- How to connect vessel visual to subsystems, like adding/removing ODS or Spacelab.

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
SSU Compile error

I'm getting the error
Code:
error C2039: 'BusTerminal' : is not a member of 'dps'
in gnc/IMU.h.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So if someone came up with a way to use the KU, it would be a plugin to ULtra.dll ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm getting the error
Code:
error C2039: 'BusTerminal' : is not a member of 'dps'
in gnc/IMU.h.

Will fix this, was actually just a dirty hack for testing something.

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

So if someone came up with a way to use the KU, it would be a plugin to ULtra.dll ?

Can you give a more detailed example what you mean?

Ultra.dll would basically just handle the inter-vessel features of SSU, may it be various ways of communication or navigation beacons that Orbiter does not support itself.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I thought the ultra.dll would replace the MGAtlantis.dll, but I don't really know what I'm talking about, so feel free to ignore me. :thumbup: