Project Space Shuttle Vessel

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Nope no problem with the physical keyboard. F6 and F7 keys by itself didn't work for me, I had to press Fn+F6 and Fn+F7 for it to operate.
Sounds like you might have a laptop of similar portable device. For space-saving reasons, those usually omit dedicated Function keys and put them overlayed on other existing keys requiring the user to hold down a dedicated "Fn" or similar key for them to work.

Gieno

Reaction score
Sounds like you might have a laptop of similar portable device. For space-saving reasons, those usually omit dedicated Function keys and put them overlayed on other existing keys requiring the user to hold down a dedicated "Fn" or similar key for them to work.
Hi Dave, yes I'm using a laptop.

Snax

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Hello guys, long time no see ! Glad to see new versions of SSV ! Installed v1.5 (was on v1.3 since), my custom mission is still working, and already liked the new CAWS features, MPS/HYD when shutting down stuff in R2 panel, and OPS202 for the PLBD :)

1680994016485.png1680994038973.png
1680994060590.png1680994080437.png
1680994098286.png
1680994130313.png

One question tho, are the lights in the cargo hold taking long to illuminate ? According the the docs I have it should take no longer than 5 minutes but I'm in orbit since a few orbits already :p

1680994159084.png1680994175946.png

Can't wait for the new CCTVs I saw in the previous pages !!
Cya :)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
One question tho, are the lights in the cargo hold taking long to illuminate ? According the the docs I have it should take no longer than 5 minutes but I'm in orbit since a few orbits already
Right now in v1.5 they should come on instantly. Make sure Local light sources is checked in Visual effects and if you're using D3D9Client, Local lights in Advanced Setup is set to 8x Full.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The new PLB lights will take a few minutes to reach full brightness, but that isn't released yet. Are the lights enabled? Launchpad >> Visual Effects >> Local light sources

Snax

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Yes sir, it's active.

Edit: you got it, it was indeed in the D3D9 settings, wasn't enabled at all lol ! Now it's working properly, thanks !
Have a good one both !

Attachments

• 1680999372829.png
    1680999372829.png
    128.3 KB · Views: 9

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
STS-1 reached orbit 42 years ago! :hailprobe:
sts1orbit.png

A quick update: version 1.6 is reaching maturity, so expect a release in the near future, containing new lights and CCTV, and also massive improvements in OMS burn targeting, courtesy of indy91.
After the "near future", the SPDS will be the main topic of the subsequent release, along with a simple demo payload, but some PLB graphics updates might make it into that release.
After that, the main focus will be v2.0 featuring new OMS/RCS, but because the amount of RCS GPC logic is huge (which also opens up so many new doors), there might be another v1.x release, made up of several miscellaneous features and fixes I've been "collecting": code, graphics, mission editor and documentation.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Space Shuttle Vessel v1.6 is out! :hailprobe:
https://github.com/GLS-SSV/SSV/releases/tag/v1.6

It contains several improvements in the OMS burns, work of @indy91. Also a new Ascent Target calculator is included in Mission Editor, calculating MECO and OMS-1/2 data, and replacing the MECO Tool, which will be removed in future versions. Also, new external lights, and CCTV cameras, both need D3D9 to use completely.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What is the best way to access the R14 CBs to power up the CCTV system? I have not found any good position to push them in from.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
What is the best way to access the R14 CBs to power up the CCTV system? I have not found any good position to push them in from.
Starboard side, lean forward.

moonheart

Reaction score
Geoair2,

What procedures or imputs do you use for deorbit and re entry?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Would be interesting to see some crew elements (Commander D.Vader, Pilot D.Brandenstein etc...) + EVA (I see some Galley, sleep stations entries (combo boxes) theoretically are in mission Editor).
The crew members part is probably way into the future (although I have some interesting ideas). EVA is a big hole, but then I'm not sure how usable it would be, so it kinda "doesn't pay for itself" at the moment. I still have to decide a few things, but crew module customization is definitively on the cards, and it will bring a functional COAS.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Do you think it would be possible to also have the original version of the shuttle cockpit?

Yes! The central issue is: how to drive all those meters and gauges? The current logic is a very hacked MEDS, with lots of shortcuts in the data flow, which won't really work with those displays, so there is still a lot of work "reworking" code to have a more correct relationship and interface between the components. Once done, the IDPs can be replaced with DEUs and (the original) DDUs, and they will respectively drive the DUs and some of the meters, and the MDMs unplug their outputs from the ADCs and plug into other meters, and done! (plus some hopefully small GPC code changes)
Some of this "invisible" reorganization work has already been done, other parts are ongoing and more will come in the future.

How about getting rid of the "cheaty" method of illumination (using material emmisivity) and using proper light sources? Then this would be a thing: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/threads/orbiter-screenshot-thread.8/post-579680
Years ago, as a proof of concept, I did light the vc with internal lights:
vclights.PNG

The issue is handling the variable brightness panel backlights, push button indicator lights and (simple) indicator lights. The D3D9 emissive textures should help, plus whatever is being done in the DG, but even if that gets solved, there is still the big one: internal lights would be adding (I think) 13 more lights to the scene, which means you have to choose between light inside or light in the PLB, which would make for some interesting RMS operations in the night side. Oh, there are more lights in the middeck and airlock...
Also, if the lights don't point at some object, then they are dark, so the graphics engines would need to have the light bounce from lit objects, thus spreading it around the scene, as it happens in reality. AFAIK, there are no lights aimed at the overhead panels, so they count on the reflections (lights and Sun) to be seen. Light shadows would probably also be needed, so only light coming in thru the windows has an effect, e.g., PLB lights having a limited effect inside vs blasting the panels with light.
It would look definitively awesome, but the current graphics just don't support the level of lighting needed to make it work in the complex internal/external light architecture of the Space Shuttle.