Project Space Shuttle Vessel

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
GLS: Is it normal for translate down to induce a very strong pitch up rate, even in VERN? That doesn't seem right to me. It makes the orbiter near uncontrollable for prox ops.
The RCS thruster directions are +/- correct (considering it is still 1 or 2 thrusters per axis), so a translation will also generate a rotation, and rotations will have some coupling. I don't how much of this was "actively" countered by the FCS (as opposed to "passively", as attitude deadbands are exceeded)... because I haven't got to it yet (still need the full RCS first).
If you go "full bananas" on the translation, you can quickly saturate the attitude control, especially in vernier mode. I guess the idea would be to do less Apollo 13 movie style thrusting, and more "steady as she goes" with discrete pulsing for translation.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The RCS thruster directions are +/- correct (considering it is still 1 or 2 thrusters per axis), so a translation will also generate a rotation, and rotations will have some coupling. I don't how much of this was "actively" countered by the FCS (as opposed to "passively", as attitude deadbands are exceeded)... because I haven't got to it yet (still need the full RCS first).
If you go "full bananas" on the translation, you can quickly saturate the attitude control, especially in vernier mode. I guess the idea would be to do less Apollo 13 movie style thrusting, and more "steady as she goes" with discrete pulsing for translation.
OK, I'll adjust my prox ops techniques then. Speaking of prox ops, the A2 XPNTR LOS RATES needles are very twitchy, even more so in the x1 mode. Is this related to the semi-implemented Ku band system implementation at the moment?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
OK, I'll adjust my prox ops techniques then. Speaking of prox ops, the A2 XPNTR LOS RATES needles are very twitchy, even more so in the x1 mode. Is this related to the semi-implemented Ku band system implementation at the moment?
Yeah, they dance because of numerical instability: the angles they show are small, and so a small change means a lot. EA-2 is probably missing a filter to smooth the data, plus the needles wouldn't move that fast, so it would also smooth the motion. Just checked, and they don't use the "new" logic that is in the O2 panel needles... I'll eventually get to it.

In other news, a quick update:
cctvfuture.PNG
Docking will be possible from the aft station, while watching 2 camera views, plus looking out the window! PDRS operations just using CCTV are also interesting... and a bit harder.
Still lots of work to do, but the CCTV is coming along. Not going to have the insanity of cables, panels, recorders, converters, etc that existed in the final years, but the basics + a decent amount of customization will be available.
I might have mentioned this before but, the cameras are a D3D9-only feature, so the vc positions in the cameras will remain for now, but for the sake of realism I'll remove them once MOGE is retired.

Obren Pantic

Reaction score
Hi guys, I apologize if there was a similar issue that was resolved, but I couldn't find it. All my MFD's are black and they don't display realistic images that I see everywhere. Do you believe there is a conflict with some other Module like delta glider IV for example?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Hi guys, I apologize if there was a similar issue that was resolved, but I couldn't find it. All my MFD's are black and they don't display realistic images that I see everywhere. Do you believe there is a conflict with some other Module like delta glider IV for example?
Hi there!
If you are talking about the image I posted above and the views in the TV monitors, that is still under development, so the current version has nothing there.
If you actually mean the 11 MDU displays, then that would be a problem... could you open one of the included scenarios and then post the log please.

Obren Pantic

Reaction score
Hi there!
If you are talking about the image I posted above and the views in the TV monitors, that is still under development, so the current version has nothing there.
If you actually mean the 11 MDU displays, then that would be a problem... could you open one of the included scenarios and then post the log please.
I just did a fresh install, there was some conflict with my other files, it's all good now, thanks for your time.

drummerboynano17

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this. But I'm trying to do an OMS burn for orbit insertion and I'm always getting an "Illegal Entry" error. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-09 152529.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-09 152529.png
    230.8 KB · Views: 20

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this. But I'm trying to do an OMS burn for orbit insertion and I'm always getting an "Illegal Entry" error. Am I doing something wrong?
It seems that you already have a "LOAD" for Item 22, so no need to key ITEM 22 ENTR again. (I-Loaded values?)

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Your TIG is also a few minutes in the past.

Reactions: GLS

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Like @indy91 said above, your TIG is in the past... which is actually allowed, but only 5 minutes in the past, and you are over 9.

Gieno

Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning to do the STS-31 HST Launch. I'm capable of getting the Shuttle into a stable orbit, opening the Payload Bay Doors, Deploying the Ku-Band Antenna, Align Planes etc.

Thanks to many of you sharing you experiences.

I just have no idea about using the Canadarm and how to free the Hubble from the Bay.

Will I be able to find anything information in the below documents? or from anyone who done it before?

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/news/flightdatafiles/index.html

Thanks.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The RMS has 2* basic frames of reference:
  • "End Effector": the EE will move following a reference frame that is centered at, and follows the very tip of the RMS, so a forward command will move the EE forward, left will translate the EE left, etc. This mode is good for going after something and grappling it, because it will move as if you are sitting on the EE.
  • "Payload Bay": this move will move the EE in respect to a reference frame aligned with the PLB, regardless of the orientation the EE is at, so a forward command will move the EE forward in the PLB, left will make the EE translate starboard, etc. This is very helpful to put and take payloads out of the PLB, because you can command a vertical motion of the RMS+Payload, even if the Grapple Fixture is at an angle, like in the PFTA. The "Payload Latch Test" scenario is a good place to play with the RMS and a payload with 2 GFs at different orientations (that's why I created the PFTA vessel).

The RMS mode is selected using the Mode rotary switch, top left on panel A8U. "ORB LD" and "ORB UNL" are currently the same, and use the PLB reference, and the "END EFF" uses the End Effector reference. There are also single and direct modes, in which you can command a single joint, which is often needed when the RMS is at a position that the augmented modes can't handle (e.g., unstowing). The other modes are not implemented yet.

*) currently that is it, but eventually custom reference frames will be possible

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Specifically for the HST, the actual checklists are probably not available online, so common sense will have to be used, but it shouldn't be much more than:
  • grapple GF
  • unlatch the PRLAs
  • raise HST to low-hover position (I remember there were 2 "hover positions"... the press kit might have some info and/or diagrams)
  • raise to high-hover
  • deploy antennas and solar arrays
  • release
  • back off slowly
  • try not to droll over the keyboard at the view :LOL:

Gieno

Reaction score
The RMS has 2* basic frames of reference:
  • "End Effector": the EE will move following a reference frame that is centered at, and follows the very tip of the RMS, so a forward command will move the EE forward, left will translate the EE left, etc. This mode is good for going after something and grappling it, because it will move as if you are sitting on the EE.
  • "Payload Bay": this move will move the EE in respect to a reference frame aligned with the PLB, regardless of the orientation the EE is at, so a forward command will move the EE forward in the PLB, left will make the EE translate starboard, etc. This is very helpful to put and take payloads out of the PLB, because you can command a vertical motion of the RMS+Payload, even if the Grapple Fixture is at an angle, like in the PFTA. The "Payload Latch Test" scenario is a good place to play with the RMS and a payload with 2 GFs at different orientations (that's why I created the PFTA vessel).

The RMS mode is selected using the Mode rotary switch, top left on panel A8U. "ORB LD" and "ORB UNL" are currently the same, and use the PLB reference, and the "END EFF" uses the End Effector reference. There are also single and direct modes, in which you can command a single joint, which is often needed when the RMS is at a position that the augmented modes can't handle (e.g., unstowing). The other modes are not implemented yet.

*) currently that is it, but eventually custom reference frames will be possible
Thank you.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
  • raise HST to low-hover position (I remember there were 2 "hover positions"... the press kit might have some info and/or diagrams):LOL:
The official STS-31 pres kit from JSC doesn't have the details but the Media Resource Kit (MRK) from Rockwell Intl (Orbiter Vehicle prime contractor) does: https://historycollection.jsc.nasa....ory/shuttle_pk/mrk/FLIGHT_035-STS-031_MRK.pdf

A collection of JSC Press Kits and Rockwell Intl MRKs can be found here: https://historycollection.jsc.nasa.gov/JSCHistoryPortal/history/shuttle_pk/all_pk.htm