Gaming Space simulator: Best sim on mobile or orbiter knockoff?

Ruskiwaffle1991

Reaction score
Maybe half a decade ago, young me decided to look for some things to play and found this interesting game simply called "Space Simulator" on Google Play. It had various missions like Apollo, space shuttle, X-15, Gemini and maybe two scifi ships like the kestrel from Babylon 5 and the Orion from 2001. Later on I discovered Orbiter and noticed that the graphics look eerily similar for most of the time. So, is this a ripoff or not?

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
I had played several space-related mobile games until I began to play Orbiter in 2018, and I still play some mobile game time to time. However, I have never played "Space Simulator" in my phone, so I can't answer your question.

However, there is another space simulation game that is based on Orbiter, but is allegedly more popular than Orbiter and has an eye-watering cost (especially to middle and low income countries). You should guess this.

Last edited:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Unrelated to Orbiter.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
I’m now using Orbiter 2016 because the SSU 4.2 addon setup worked after I rushed it all these days and now it’s finally up to date.
Wrong thread.

Krishnan

I believe, my friends, caravans of rockets
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Maybe half a decade ago, young me decided to look for some things to play and found this interesting game simply called "Space Simulator" on Google Play. It had various missions like Apollo, space shuttle, X-15, Gemini and maybe two scifi ships like the kestrel from Babylon 5 and the Orion from 2001. Later on I discovered Orbiter and noticed that the graphics look eerily similar for most of the time. So, is this a ripoff or not?
I did find an abandoned website which had a game based on the orbiter engine, though It has been ever abandoned. It should be in the thousands of bookmarks I have archived. I heard that the MFDs for Orbiter are compatible with it also.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I did find an abandoned website which had a game based on the orbiter engine, though It has been ever abandoned. It should be in the thousands of bookmarks I have archived. I heard that the MFDs for Orbiter are compatible with it also.
Orbiter source code has only been available for a little over a year. Are you sure it wasn't just loosely inspired by it?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Orbiter source code has only been available for a little over a year. Are you sure it wasn't just loosely inspired by it?
It might be Artlav's old "Orbiter-derivative" called "Spaceway". It never went anywhere and work came to a stop.

Linguofreak

Reaction score

Spaceway used its own engine, but I believe it used the orbiter API for MFDs, or else very closely written clones of the core orbiter MFDs.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
However, there is another space simulation game that is based on Orbiter, but is allegedly more popular than Orbiter and has an eye-watering cost (especially to middle and low income countries). You should guess this.
I was talking about Kerbal Space Program (KSP).

steph

Reaction score
The way I'd go about it on mobile is by using cloud computing and broadcasting to a TV/monitor. But , even now; the controls are not unified, so you may find your mobile-connected mouse and keyboard won't work , or you may need to use a Bluetooth gaming controller. But mobile stuff is almost universally crap for kids. I usually just play the GTA ports or carmageddon or Doom etc. There are a few good flight sims, but no space sims that I know of