Search Space station arm

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find a RMS that works like the SSRMS on the ISS?

What I want is that it can "walk" from attachment point to attachment point. I have the uRMS and I love it's ability to move, but I'm building I space station that radiates out from a certain point and I want the arm to be able to reach all the modules. Thanks in advance.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Why not use the uRMS rail feature?

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think he's looking for one that can walk itself around the station like Canadarm2. Unfortunately, I don't really know of an easy way of making something like it with the API short of flipping what is the "base" of the arm.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Which is why I suggested the rail feature

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But the rail constrains you to moving along one direction. Great if you're building like the ISS where you have a central truss that's in reach of everything, but on a much bigger station, a central truss with one arm moving along one dimension just doesn't work. For my jump station two years ago (that long!?) I needed four arms and even then had to use one of them to grab another whole RMS to reach everywhere I needed.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Everything has limitations. To quote a phrase "I'm telling you what's out there, you are telling me what you want".

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Gouldn't you have a central point that rotates the rail kind of like a clock hand ?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Gouldn't you have a central point that rotates the rail kind of like a clock hand ?

Or you could use the scenario editor and use that to rotate the rail. It's a "cheat" but would work.

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
That's kinda what I was expecting. I've used the uRMS before and I do love it, I just kinda wanted something a little more realistic, I guess. I've looked up on OH what arms are available, and one called the [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2867"]Garm v0.5[/ame] says it can be put on any attachment point. I imagine this means that once you put it there, it stays, right? Or can it move from point to point?
Is there an arm included in one of the ISS packages that has that ability?

Thanks for all the replys, guys.